1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ginormous monsters

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by freerange freaks, Jun 17, 2008.

1. freerange freaks

freerange freaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I thought someone may be interested to see the size difference between my layers and my meat birds. These birds are the same age (four weeks). And have had access to the same starter and same out door foraging. The meat birds are huge unnatural monstrosaties...

[​IMG]

2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    And I find it sad that their lives are usually so brief [​IMG]
    JJ

3. Nupine

Nupine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    Weird huh??

4. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Yum [​IMG] I want to do meat birds but my mom won't let me.

Henry

5. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    Wow, that is a huge difference. Thanks for showing us~~I had no idea. I want to raise some meat birds~~is their feed bill really high or do you free range? I can't stop saying, "Wow!!" [​IMG]

6. freerange freaks

freerange freaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    This is my first time with meat birds and I am shocked every morning when I let the birds out for the day.

I do let them range but they are not nearly as energetic as the layers. They layers run around and try to catch flying insects. The meat birds walk around and then lay down and eat the grass around them. They also take frequent naps through out the day. They drink so much. I cannot believe the amount of water they go through. I would say 25 meat birds drink about 12 litres of water per day at four weeks old. I buy two bags of food every week and a half. Right now, chicken in the grocery store is on sale for $0.99/lb. I figure when this is all said and done these chickens will cost me $3.00/lb.

So far it has been worth every penny! I can't wait to taste one of the monsters.

7. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    In years past mine have cost me about $3/lb. it was definately worth every cent and I can not wait until slaughter day this year either. You will never have better tasting chicken than what you raise yourself, even if it does cost a little more.

8. UncleHoot

UncleHoot Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    St. Johns, Michigan
    I've got 2 white leghorns (as well as 8 other layer chicks) that I'm raising with my meat chickens. They're over 2 weeks older than the meat chickens, but by the time the meat chickens were 2 weeks old, they were already much heavier than the 4 week old leghorns. It's kinda weird how they otherwise blend in with the meat chickens, however, until all of a sudden someone goes flying out, and you never saw it coming. [​IMG]

9. UncleHoot

UncleHoot Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    St. Johns, Michigan
    Quote:IMHO, the best chicken I've ever had.[​IMG]

At this point (almost 8 weeks old), my 48 meat chickens (and 10 layers) are going through a bag of feed every 2 days, which works out to around half a pound of feed per meat bird per day. The layers don't eat nearly as much. Next week the meaties will be gone, so it will be interesting to watch the layers adapt to life without them, before I eventually try to integrate them with my other hens.

10. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    That is why it's difficult to brood the two for more than a couple weeks. You'll start to see trampling.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by