GIRLS IN COOP AT LAST!!!!!

labradoodlemama

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 2, 2014
Cumberland County PA
Coop is finally finished except for the nest boxes! I put all 12 of them in yesterday. I took the two 8wk olds down first and when I put them on the floor they got excited and started flapping their wings and jumping all over! They where so funny to watch. They had been a large dog coop in the basement. Next I brought the dog coop out to the yard and cleaned it, put it in the coop with fresh shavings, water and feed. Next I brought the ten 3wk olds into the coop and put them in the dog crate. They where also happy to have so much room as they where in a plastic storage container from Walmart. This morning I walked into their coop and Layla and Lucy Lu where standing in front of the crate ":talking" to the baby girls. They all looked up at me and then went back to talking. How long should I wait until I let them out into the coop together? My run is not finished yet but our friend is coming tomorrow to start putting the wire on, he already has the posts cemented in the ground. How much shavings should I put in the coop? I didn't put a lot down last night. The coop is 80 sq ft. Also has anyone used the plastic nest boxes from Miller Manufacturing? (they sell them at Amazon) Our friend does not have time to make them. I will take pictures when everything is finished. Now down to the basement to clean ip the shaving that they kicked out everywhere!!

Coop is finally finished except for the nest boxes! I put all 12 of them in yesterday. I took the two 8wk olds down first and when I put them on the floor they got excited and started flapping their wings and jumping all over! They where so funny to watch. They had been a large dog coop in the basement. Next I brought the dog coop out to the yard and cleaned it, put it in the coop with fresh shavings, water and feed. Next I brought the ten 3wk olds into the coop and put them in the dog crate. They where also happy to have so much room as they where in a plastic storage container from Walmart. This morning I walked into their coop and Layla and Lucy Lu where standing in front of the crate ":talking" to the baby girls. They all looked up at me and then went back to talking. How long should I wait until I let them out into the coop together? My run is not finished yet but our friend is coming tomorrow to start putting the wire on, he already has the posts cemented in the ground. How much shavings should I put in the coop? I didn't put a lot down last night. The coop is 80 sq ft. Also has anyone used the plastic nest boxes from Miller Manufacturing? (they sell them at Amazon) Our friend does not have time to make them. I will take pictures when everything is finished. Now down to the basement to clean ip the shaving that they kicked out everywhere!!
I took the door off my dog crate(or you could just prop it open if there's room) and covered it with some 2x4 welded wire with a corner bent up just enough so the smaller birds could get in there if they needed to escape the bigger birds, had food and water inside the crate for the smallers and outside the crate for the olders....worked very well. Once the smallers couldn't fit thru the opening, they were already acclimated with the older birds.

You might not need the crate, let them out and see what happens. Providing multiple feeders and waterers, and maybe some hiding places for the smallers, can help.

I use 1-2 inches of shavings, keep them stirred up every few days, but I use poop boards under the roosts to catch nighttime droppings.

Thanks so much for your help. All the wire is up around the run, the only thing not done is putting the door on. I'm going to prop it up tomorrow while I'm outside and let the little ones out with Layla and Lucy Lu. I am also going to take door off of the crate and put wire on it like you said. The run will be completed on Saturday. Can't wait.

Back
Top Bottom