Girls not eating since getting their peepers.

Cdur

Hatching
6 Years
May 16, 2013
Odell, NE
On Friday we put pinless peepers on my 56 hens. Saturday I noticed they didn't eat as much as normal. Today I noticed they barely ate at all. I normally fill their feeders when I check on them for the last time in the early evening, and close them in for the night. When I go out in the morning and open up the coop the feeders are almost empty. By feeding time they are always empty. Today ( Sunday) at feeding time the feeders were nearly full. So I put a couple of small piles on the ground and they ate like crazy. I have the more commom hanging feeders. Are they going to get used to eating out of them or do I need to change the type of feeder?

I've never used hanging feeders with the birds I have put pinless peepers on, but have seen other write ups where people have changed their feeders because their hens would not eat out of hanging feeders with them on.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/669967/pinless-peepers-issue-decreased-egglaying Thread from BYC on it.

http://curbstonevalley.com/blog/?p=7756 "One thing we did notice during the day was that some of our hens were reluctant to use their hanging feeder once they were fitted with their new spectacles. As the trough at the base of the feeder is very narrow, they seemed to resist pecking the food, perhaps because they have to turn their head to see the food, but then can’t see it to eat it. To ensure that everyone has access to food, we left the hanging feeder for those that were using it, but also now keep a wide bowl with feed available at all times, which most of them seem more willing to use.?

Thank you, at least now I know that it isn't my imagination. Last night I took a garbage can lid, turned it upside down on top of a couple of concrete blocks, put a five gallon pail in the middle, weighted it down and put a lid on it, then filled the lid with food, they seem to be eating it better. Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom