Girls or boys help please

Grand-hen-ma

Songster
9 Years
Apr 25, 2010
Hudson Florida
Hi, can anyone tell me what my babies are? I don't know how to add them to this page on my iPad. I put them in my photo collection, default it said. Very computer challenged on this end. Please help

No the barred was born in March. I was sooo hoping they were all girls. How can you tell the sex by looking at the pictures? What do I look for when determining the sex?

Thanks for your help

The white one in the last pic is certainly a roo. The rusty brown color coming in on the shoulders indicates it. I think the barred bird is male. He has no tail yet. I think the white one in the second pic is a roo. Looks like his tail feathers are starting to arch downwards.

1-Pullet
2-Pullet
3-Roo
4-Pullet
5-Pullet
6-Roo

I think 3 was the only Rooster!
yippiechickie.gif

No the barred was born in March. I was sooo hoping they were all girls. How can you tell the sex by looking at the pictures? What do I look for when determining the sex?

Thanks for your help

If the barred one hatched in March I'm going with pullet. A 7 month old cockerel would definitely be obvious! Also in regard to the lack of tail feathers... I'm thinking she probably is in the process of molting and the tail feathers are growing back. I had a couple hens molt their first year so it's not unheard of.

Generally when looking at pictures, I look for pointy saddle and hackle feathers (saddles come in on the back near the tail and hackles are on the neck). A male's saddles and hackles are skinny, shiny, and pointed, while a female's will be rounded. Also if the age is known, one can sometimes go by the size and color of the comb/wattles, although the saddles and hackles are the best indicators.

Last edited:
All are pullets except numbers 3 and 6. I'm on the fence about number 6. The rust color on the shoulders does usually indicate a roo, but it continues down into the tail and isn't totally a roo color pattern.

It would help a great deal if we knew the ages of the birds.

Also, you wanted to know what we are looking for. Some basic things we're looking at are:
Comb development
Coloration
Feather development
Presence/absence of hackle and saddle feathers
Size of the legs and feet

Back
Top Bottom