Girls or boys help please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Grand-hen-ma, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Grand-hen-ma

Grand-hen-ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Hudson Florida
    Hi, can anyone tell me what my babies are? I don't know how to add them to this page on my iPad. I put them in my photo collection, default it said. Very computer challenged on this end. Please help

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    I see a bunch of pullets, but the barred one could be a cockerel. Is it the same age as the rest?

4. Grand-hen-ma

Grand-hen-ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Hudson Florida
    No the barred was born in March. I was sooo hoping they were all girls. How can you tell the sex by looking at the pictures? What do I look for when determining the sex?

Thanks for your help

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    The white one in the last pic is certainly a roo. The rusty brown color coming in on the shoulders indicates it. I think the barred bird is male. He has no tail yet. I think the white one in the second pic is a roo. Looks like his tail feathers are starting to arch downwards.

1-Pullet
    2-Pullet
    3-Roo
    4-Pullet
    5-Pullet
    6-Roo

1 person likes this.
  6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    I think 3 was the only Rooster!
    [​IMG]

7. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    If the barred one hatched in March I'm going with pullet. A 7 month old cockerel would definitely be obvious! Also in regard to the lack of tail feathers... I'm thinking she probably is in the process of molting and the tail feathers are growing back. I had a couple hens molt their first year so it's not unheard of.

Generally when looking at pictures, I look for pointy saddle and hackle feathers (saddles come in on the back near the tail and hackles are on the neck). A male's saddles and hackles are skinny, shiny, and pointed, while a female's will be rounded. Also if the age is known, one can sometimes go by the size and color of the comb/wattles, although the saddles and hackles are the best indicators.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  8. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    All are pullets except numbers 3 and 6. I'm on the fence about number 6. The rust color on the shoulders does usually indicate a roo, but it continues down into the tail and isn't totally a roo color pattern.

It would help a great deal if we knew the ages of the birds.

Also, you wanted to know what we are looking for. Some basic things we're looking at are:
    Comb development
    Coloration
    Feather development
    Presence/absence of hackle and saddle feathers
    Size of the legs and feet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by