Girls sleeping arrangements in Coop/Run

West Bend

Songster
Jul 7, 2019
West Bend WI
Our Girls do not go to roost at night ( I think they're 2nd shift night owls instead.) I need to put them in the coop each night. The Coop(4x6) and inside run (5x6)are relatively small and combined by a door that's about 2 ft by 4 ft. I put a screen up between the two to close them in the coop at night. In your opinion do you think it would be okay to leave out the screen so the door area would be open? It currently has ckn wire/ & 20+mil plastic on the run part w/ 1/4 in hardware cloth skirt all the way around. This is inside an outdoor run area about 180sf fully enclosed in 2x4 welded wire fencing& roof- seems overlap & are dbl row cable tied. Food & H2O are in inside run w/ H2O taken out at night to reduce moisture inside.
20200110_163111.jpg
20200208_145248-1.jpg

Attachments

• 1581896922759.jpg
    1581896922759.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 16
Not predator proof.
Coop should have a secure door to lock.
Get rid of the roost in the run, or make it much lower than the roost in the coop.
Is there good ventilation in the coop?
Turn off the lights in the run.
The building has a door that locks. I was thinking about lowering the roost in the run, but they were roosting on the straw bale or edge of the dust bath bin prior to adding the roost bar. It is actually 6in lower than the roost in the coop area. I put the screen up because currently I only have a few 3in vents on the coop side. The small run side with the plastic up has good ventilation. 2 6x18in openings & 1 that's 3x12, plus side flaps. My daughter or I need to put them in the coop area at night& put the screen up. I remove the screen & let them out in the am, feed & water them then leave the door open into the outdoor run area until I need to leave for work than I close them into the coop/run. The lights are on for when we go out there, they were roosting on the bales prior to the lights being added.

My guess is lack of ventilation in the coop is part of why they're choosing to stay out. Need to find a way to add ventilation inside that also doesn't allow drafts (louvers, buffers, and/or strategic placement of vents can help with that).

Probably not practical to address it right now if weather is still bad but something to consider adding to your to-do list.

My guess is lack of ventilation in the coop is part of why they're choosing to stay out. Need to find a way to add ventilation inside that also doesn't allow drafts (louvers, buffers, and/or strategic placement of vents can help with that).

Probably not practical to address it right now if weather is still bad but something to consider adding to your to-do list.
Thanks, yes I have more vents to add but didn't want to do a lot of cutting as I will be building a new structure come spring / early summer. We are expecting more snow in the next couple of days (possibly up to 8in). That is also why I use the screen between the coop and small interior run. My daughter will be moving out soon and I won't have someone to tuck them in at night anymore because I work second shift 3 p.m. to 1:30 a.m. sometimes 12 hour shifts until 3 a.m. I also don't keep food or water in the coop side. I plan on adding an automatic door when the new coop is constructed. I might remove 1 or 2 of the Interior boards and considerate it as one large coop for now, as it should only be for a couple more months.

Back
Top Bottom