Give me a viable Eglu Cube alternative

I think what I’m really looking for is a coop that isn’t a tractor but isn’t a big shed- something in between, where moving it is a possibility with just two people, no machines needed. I’ll keep researching, thank you!!!
You could consider two coops: a summer one (hoop coop or similar) by the garden, and a more weather-proof winter coop. Two coops also means you can raise chicks in one while the adult chickens are in the other one, which might be useful in the future.

For semi-portable and semi-predator-resistant, you might look into something like a chain link dog kennel. I had one that was a set of panels 6 feet high and 10 feet long/wide. I could take off the corner connectors (a few minutes' work with a wrench) and drag the panels one-by-one to a new location, then put them back together. I even assembled it around a big tree trunk a few times, when I wanted the chickens to destroy the weeds at the base of the tree. Moving it probably took less than an hour when I was working alone (slightly faster with an adult to help, much slower with a small child to "help".)

Of course chain link is not perfect: weasels can go through it, raccoons can reach through it or climb over it, chickens can fly over unless it is covered, and animals could dig underneath. But it will keep the chickens from walking into the garden to scratch, and it will keep any stray dogs from just grabbing a chicken when they come by. If you add a top, and cover the sides with hardware cloth (1/2" mesh) it's a lot more secure, but also more bother to move around. I read of someone else who attached plywood to parts of two sides, making a solid corner that raccoons could not reach into (the chickens would run there to try to hide from the raccoons.)

There are other styles of dog kennel panels that have roofs as well (some are just a tarp, some have actual metal mesh panels.) All of them tend to be expensive unless you get them second hand, but all of them can be put together/taken apart for moving. Unfortunately, all of them also have large mesh on the sides. But large mesh may be enough for daytime use, if the chickens have a more secure place for the night.

Dog kennels can range from great to useless, depending on a bunch of different factors about both the kennel and your conditions. I have found them useful, with modifications or special consideration for certain details.

Yes, I am thinking I will end up with two coops: one closer to my house for protection and ease of cleaning/care for winter, and then I’d love to build a hoop coop for summer by the garden! Thank you for the advice. Now… for winter coops, any recommendations for fairly basic coops for 6 chickens that can hold up during a Vermont winter ( it’s been regularly -10 here this year at night)? Again, I’d really like it to be somewhat portable so we could move it out of the way in the summer. For winter it wouldn’t really matter since we aren’t out much anyway.

Why don’t people just build things out of polycarbonate sheets? I see it being used for the roof but could it be used for walls? Just curious! And just really starting to narrow ideas down…

a Vermont winter
Was just about to ask where.
Whole other ballgame there, don't skimp on space or protected ventilation.
Might want to read thru this:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/cold-weather-poultry-housing-and-care.72010/

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @LilLee
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1644246218476.png

I have the omlet cube and run and absolutely love it so do my girls it's so easy to clean has done great in heavy snow rain and wind I move it couple times this year I like moving it as close to my back door as possible in the winter

It looks like from the website that the coop itself is only about 3x3', including the nest box space. The actual living space looks more like 2x3, which gives you 6 square feet of space. Enough for 1 1/2 to 2 full size chickens, plus feeder and waterer, not the 5-6 they advertise. You are in a cold climate and birds often spend extended indoor time in the winter and need enough space to avoid crowding issues. No windows, so if they need to be confined in adverse weather they will be in the dark, unless the door is open all the time.

I have the omlet cube and run and absolutely love it so do my girls it's so easy to clean has done great in heavy snow rain and wind I move it couple times this year I like moving it as close to my back door as possible in the winter
I second everything you said! I have an Eglu cube and attached walk-in run. Easy to manage and clean. I'm in my second winter with it and my flock is doing well. Worth the investment. Having said all this, Eglu products cater to small backyard flocks 4-5 at most. If you're concerned about "chicken math", it may not be the best fit. Let us know what you decide!

I think my point was that the coop is too small for even 4 birds to live a comfortable life in, at least in cold climates. Maybe it would work better in warmer areas where birds could stay out in a secure run (the run shown on the website being definitely not secure)
I did make some modifications to ensure proper space. The 3' attached run that comes with it--I added hardware cloth around the whole thing. I tarp it in the winter / hurricanes. So this whole area becomes part of "the coop" and provides about 18 square feet. The Cube itself is for roosting and laying eggs.

I admit, that's a lot of work beyond the purchased Eglu, but it was 2020. Stuck at home and unemployed, with time on my hands. :rolleyes:

We have over 3 acres, but that’s misleading because so much of it is wooded and very steep.

I am currently considering this- I found on Craigslist. Problems would be- even more expensive than Eglu and I still want some type of a run to protect them from aerial predators. I am thinking they will free range when I am out and about. I am still thinking I’ll surround the whole thing with movable poultry fencing because of the bears/foxes, etc. 😝

https://vermont.craigslist.org/grd/d/cuttingsville-large-mobile-chicken-coop/7446927782.html

Thoughts? I am still tempted to try and make something myself because this is so expensive, but I know it could end up being a bigger project than I anticipate.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom