give me hope! how tough are they?

cracked_egg

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 2, 2010
Ok, so, I have big problems, dog got into coop. I know some of the chicks got out, BUT I can't seeem to find them... I went through their coop again and found 2 more (dead) that were under some of the hay..... So, there are still 10 missing.... I know some got out cuz Gretta came up to me from outside, but she's the only one I have out of 25.... (She was friendliest...

So my question is: how hardy are they at three weeks? I had a huge rain fall, but I do have quite a few buildings and the barn their coop/stall was in is rather large, so they *could* be in there somewhere, or they could be outside.... Is there ANY chance that they'll survive? It is warm here, but still it was a heavy rain...

2. Will they come back to the coop after having such a bad experience in there...

When my first batch were about three weeks old, they survived a hawk attack. They froze in the bushes completely. I mean no movement for several hours. I managed to find them all and get them back inside, but it was not easy. I don't know if yours would come back, but I would keep looking around, because although you might have lost some, some chickens can be tough little buggers and can survive more than we think they will.

Well... I looked all day with no sign of them...then last night I thought I heard them out in the pasture...I walked out there, got soaked, but whatever it was I was pushing it farther and farther.... And it could have been a kill deer or two... And of course my grass is so high in that pasture there was no way to see them
sad.png
so, it poured rain all day yesterday and last night...so, I'm guessing I'm down to only 1
sad.png

Hang in there....A dog got into my coop one day and killed a few, but some got away and they didn't come back for several days...I could hear them in the woods crowing and making noise.....

Back
Top Bottom