Give me the dirt on turkeys

All four of mine made a lovely wheeeep wheeeeeeep noise but hardly ever got louder than the chickens. But then, they never went out of sight of each other. Even when they would go walk abouts up the road they went together.

Made it easy to catch them though lol

My BR's are very noisy. If they can't find each other, they whistle. If they hear or see me, they come running like a herd of elephants. (I have 6) When I call "turkeys" they gobble. They also gobble if there is anything going on out of the ordinary. Strange noises, or company. They are pretty good "watch dogs." If I can't hear them, I go looking. They visited the neighbor once.
hide.gif

What an awesome thread! Y'all just solidified my decision to get MWs in the spring. Now I'm on the waiting list for when they become available.

Although you did suck about 2 hours out of my life as I read the entire thread.
tongue.png
At least it was an education 2 hrs.

Oh LOVELY pickies of your MWs
love.gif

Roll on spring time so I can get some meself
ya.gif

If so called "pet birds" had teh personality of turkeys, more people would have them!

Brought home a Narragansett today and it filled the neighborhood with the sound of gobble gobble so quickly turned it into a fridge ornament till Christmas dinner, where it will have star billing
big_smile.png
Had NO IDEA they were so loud
ep.gif
pretty much puts paid to my stealth turkey idea
lau.gif

Beautiful bird! Had never seen one before.

After starting this thread a long time ago, we still haven't gotten turkeys. We were going to last year but were planning on moving. Now that we're not moving we'd like to actually get a few turkeys. The breed might not be too hard to choose since we'll probably just get 4 or so from the feed store in the spring. I don't remember what kinds they usually get but I know it is not a wide variety.

We'll probably build them their own little coop and let them free range. We have lots and lots of wild turkeys so I'm not sure how that will go. We do have a good size pen we could put them in but it isn't covered. I suppose we could cover it temporarily and maybe put in a little lean-to type shelter for them to roost in. Would that work?

Back
Top Bottom