Give newly broody hen ready to hatch eggs from incubator, or freshly hatched chicks?

No problem with acceptance so far. I started off trying to be sneaky getting them under the hen, but realized the hens aren't keeping track. I have 2 good broodies in the flock who are good at raising chicks, but none of them does well with the incubation for 3 weeks because there are so many other hens trying to lay in their nest box and interrupting the process.
Ah yes that makes sense. We separate the broodies into a separate, smaller 'brooding coop' as we call it, since we noticed the same problems in the common laying area.
Had a few eggs get too cold, because another hen went into the broody's nest when she got out for a break, and the broody went into another nest with eggs 🥲 Luckily it was only on day 4 and Leila enjoyed the eggs later 😅 that's when we set up the brooding coop.

Glad you've found a way that works for you! ❤️

Last edited:
Have you ever had any problems with chick acceptance?
Almost never but .....

One time I had a few eggs under a broody hen and more in the incubator. That's the way I usually do it now. If something goes wrong with one of the incubations the hen still gets chicks to raise. Only two eggs hatched under the broody, both red chicks. These hatched a bit early, that's pretty normal with my eggs. The incubator eggs were a day later and included both red and black chicks. That broody accepted the red incubator chicks but not the black chicks, I had to raise those myself. I think she bonded with her two red chicks and knew the black ones were different. What is strange is that earlier that spring she had hatched and raised another brood that included both red and black chicks. I really did not expect her to bond only with the reds this time.

When this was going on I had another hen go broody a couple of days before these chicks hatched. I tried putting the black chicks under this broody to see if she would accept them instead of giving her eggs to hatch. She had only been broody a couple of days and would not accept them. She did not hurt them, they stayed under her and were not attacked, but she did not lead them off of the nest when she should have. When those chicks started their distressed peeping which I interpreted as they were getting hungry and thirsty I took them and put them in the brooder.

That's the only time I've ever had a hen reject chicks. I don't always wait for the hen to be broody for three weeks either. I have had chicks that initially rejected the broody. They'd try to wander off and leave her. The hen was pretty rough on them, pecking them to discipline them and forcing them under her. Within a day they had accepted her as their mother and stopped trying to abandon her.

Usually it goes very well but with living animals you don't get any guarantees.

Almost never but .....

One time I had a few eggs under a broody hen and more in the incubator. That's the way I usually do it now. If something goes wrong with one of the incubations the hen still gets chicks to raise. Only two eggs hatched under the broody, both red chicks. These hatched a bit early, that's pretty normal with my eggs. The incubator eggs were a day later and included both red and black chicks. That broody accepted the red incubator chicks but not the black chicks, I had to raise those myself. I think she bonded with her two red chicks and knew the black ones were different. What is strange is that earlier that spring she had hatched and raised another brood that included both red and black chicks. I really did not expect her to bond only with the reds this time.

When this was going on I had another hen go broody a couple of days before these chicks hatched. I tried putting the black chicks under this broody to see if she would accept them instead of giving her eggs to hatch. She had only been broody a couple of days and would not accept them. She did not hurt them, they stayed under her and were not attacked, but she did not lead them off of the nest when she should have. When those chicks started their distressed peeping which I interpreted as they were getting hungry and thirsty I took them and put them in the brooder.

That's the only time I've ever had a hen reject chicks. I don't always wait for the hen to be broody for three weeks either. I have had chicks that initially rejected the broody. They'd try to wander off and leave her. The hen was pretty rough on them, pecking them to discipline them and forcing them under her. Within a day they had accepted her as their mother and stopped trying to abandon her.

Usually it goes very well but with living animals you don't get any guarantees.

Wow, thanks for sharing your experiences, that so crazy!
Goldilocks got two eggs from Pretty Mama now, and she's sitting on them diligently. Let's see how she does when they're hatched. I'll be watching her. If all goes well, I'll try to divide the chicks up between them and hopefully they'll all get accepted 💪🏽😊

It's happening 😍🥳

Unfortunately Goldilocks refused to accept new chicks or a chick that hatched under her. She just got out of the nest and took the egg shell to eat it outside the nest and left the newly hatched chick on it's own. Luckily I was there just in time to put the chick and the other pipping eggs back under Pretty.

So Pretty Mama is getting all the babies with a heater plate in the brooding coop in case she can't keep them all warm 🥺

Goldilocks unfortunately has to go into broody jail for a day or two. She was very displeased about it, and didn't hesitate to show it 🥲

Thank you all for your input 🙏🏽

Small hens make good mothers. I had a BLRW who I called "Blob" because she was so fat. She wanted to be a mom but would squish chicks. Silkies are best. Your hen looks small though.

Give her a fake egg or two until the chicks hatch. When the chicks hatch, if she’s taking good care of the fake egg (s) , then put the chicks under her. Hope this helps. Hope you hear some peeps soon!

Back
Top Bottom