Give up free-ranging?

I have the same dilemma. Last year we lost a mom while she was taking her chicks foraging. The chicks came running into the main fenced area, where they can get under the fence. Fortunately, there were other moms with chicks all the exact same age, and they adopted the orphaned chicks.

I believe it is foxes feeding their kits in the spring here. I have decided though not to give up on free ranging, since it is so much better for their health, unless they get killed. I think a solution may be having at least one devoted rooster with the free range flock, and have been thinking of getting a Llama.

I have the same dilemma.  Last year we lost a mom while she was taking her chicks foraging.  The chicks came running into the main fenced area, where they can get under the fence.  Fortunately, there were other moms with chicks all the exact same age, and they adopted the orphaned chicks.  

I believe it is foxes feeding their kits in the spring here.  I have decided though not to give up on free ranging, since it is so much better for their health, unless they get killed.  I think a solution may be having at least one devoted rooster with the free range flock, and have been thinking of getting a Llama.  

I feel the same way about the free-ranging... Does having other livestock help? I was thinking of getting goats next year.

I feel the same way about the free-ranging... Does having other livestock help? I was thinking of getting goats next year.
The problem with goats is they eat EVERYTHING, but if I get a Llama it will need a friend, since they are herd animals. What about Icelandic rams?

Haha - Yes the guineas are totally loud. In fact a rooster probably wouldn't be as bad... especially compared to the 4 of them. Any advice on introducing a new (young) rooster into the group?
If the cockerel is about 4 months, he might get picked on by the hens but eventually he'll become the rooster and head of the flock. One closer to 6 months may work better.
I think the breed of rooster makes a big difference. Depending on where you live, a big Mediterranean breed like Minorca, Black Penedesenca, Andalusians, Catalanas or if you live where it's very cold, something like a Buckeye or Orloff. If you live where it's hot, the Meds work or a Fayoumi.

I have the same dilemma. Last year we lost a mom while she was taking her chicks foraging. The chicks came running into the main fenced area, where they can get under the fence. Fortunately, there were other moms with chicks all the exact same age, and they adopted the orphaned chicks.

I believe it is foxes feeding their kits in the spring here. I have decided though not to give up on free ranging, since it is so much better for their health, unless they get killed. I think a solution may be having at least one devoted rooster with the free range flock, and have been thinking of getting a Llama.

I always vote for roosters but if that's not possible, electric fencing for ground predators and an area with poultry netting on top to thwart hawks. Hawks can still fly into enclosures.
I had a hawk fly into a 40' long, 3' high 8' wide hoop pen to get to some meat birds.

So sorry for your loss. Free ranging seems easy but it isn't always. It takes a lot of vigilance and a thick skin. Might I suggest trying to get birds that are already free range adults next time? I have predator proven birds who continue to pass it on to their young. It helps a lot. I can't teach the babies like a mama hen can. Last summer, I was leaving and heard my banty mama hollering down below the barn. Went to investigate and off flew a cooper hawk. She was standing, exposed I might add, on a rock pile just screaming. I didn't see any babies. Searched and saw no evidence of attack, she stopped hollering, but still no babies. Finally I hear something, and out comes one baby and soon all 14 from some thick grass. They hid so well I walked right by them. Its an invaluable trait she passed on that day. Might I add, all 14 are still alive and kicking (until spring anyways when decisions will be made). Its just a thought, best of luck :)

I'm saving up for some electric fence and 50x50 poultry net myself

Yeah I just saw a big red fox out back looking for leftovers. I guess I'll be penning the new flock and only doing supervised free ranging. And getting a rooster.

So sorry for your loss. Free ranging seems easy but it isn't always. It takes a lot of vigilance and a thick skin. Might I suggest trying to get birds that are already free range adults next time? I have predator proven birds who continue to pass it on to their young. It helps a lot. I can't teach the babies like a mama hen can. Last summer, I was leaving and heard my banty mama hollering down below the barn. Went to investigate and off flew a cooper hawk. She was standing, exposed I might add, on a rock pile just screaming. I didn't see any babies. Searched and saw no evidence of attack, she stopped hollering, but still no babies. Finally I hear something, and out comes one baby and soon all 14 from some thick grass. They hid so well I walked right by them. Its an invaluable trait she passed on that day. Might I add, all 14 are still alive and kicking (until spring anyways when decisions will be made). Its just a thought, best of luck
smile.png
That's what I have thought is to choose breeds that are known to be predator savvy. My Production Reds seem to do the best, but I'm going to phase them out and only acquire breeds with small combs and wattles.

So sorry for your loss. Free ranging seems easy but it isn't always. It takes a lot of vigilance and a thick skin. Might I suggest trying to get birds that are already free range adults next time? I have predator proven birds who continue to pass it on to their young. It helps a lot. I can't teach the babies like a mama hen can. Last summer, I was leaving and heard my banty mama hollering down below the barn. Went to investigate and off flew a cooper hawk. She was standing, exposed I might add, on a rock pile just screaming. I didn't see any babies. Searched and saw no evidence of attack, she stopped hollering, but still no babies. Finally I hear something, and out comes one baby and soon all 14 from some thick grass. They hid so well I walked right by them. Its an invaluable trait she passed on that day. Might I add, all 14 are still alive and kicking (until spring anyways when decisions will be made). Its just a thought, best of luck
smile.png
I agree. The more calm, docile, friendly breeds - which incidentally it seems most backyard keepers desire - are sitting ducks for predation. Their trusting nature makes them vulnerable. I've never played with my birds and only handle them to check their health.
I've had about 30 different breeds and have continually narrowed down my choices to those that are survivors without help from me - other than locking the doors at dusk.

Even without handling them, a few breeds became very docile and I could walk up on them, among them were jersey giants and orpingtons. I was standing in the midst of the birds on 2 occasions and saw a fox run out from behind the compost bins and grab and orpington before it knew there was a predator afoot. Had I not been standing right there and run the fox off, the orp would have been dinner.
Birds like polish, houdans and silkies are definitely out of the question for a long life of free ranging.

I'm now down to 2 breeds. A single Ameraucana is the sole survivor from those previous diverse flocks. She's been attacked by a dogs, raccoons, etc., but I've always nursed her back to health and she's now going on 6 years old and still laying.
The rest of my birds are Black Penedesencas which I originally got for the egg color and several other nice characteristics but I've since grown to love them for their most important qualities. They are extremely wary and can run like the wind. They can fly but because of their speed they prefer to run. As long as they're not disturbed, they're content to stay inside a 3 foot fence. In fact I keep rooster flocks in a 2 foot fence. As long as there's no dogs or coyotes they'll stay in there. I've seen them fly to the top of buildings if a ground predator is afoot. If hawks are in the area the roosters call, hens and chicks run for cover and the roosters stand and fight the hawk. It's a beautiful thing to watch. I've had them for over 4 years and I've never lost one to a hawk.
Quote:
Yeah I just saw a big red fox out back looking for leftovers. I guess I'll be penning the new flock and only doing supervised free ranging. And getting a rooster.
Quote:
That's what I have thought is to choose breeds that are known to be predator savvy. My Production Reds seem to do the best, but I'm going to phase them out and only acquire breeds with small combs and wattles.
The penedesenca combs and wattles are a problem in winter but only the roosters are affected. It gets quite hot here too so the big combs help in summer.

Yup I had orpingtons and they were docile as could be. Would a 3 foot fence keep a fox out? Maybe I'll do ameracaunas... We have hot summers and cold winters here in VA.

Back
Top Bottom