Giving broody hen chicks

Did the broody hen take to the chicks the first time, but then just didn’t protect them? Or did she not take to them? Will they be upset if you get rid of her “babies” after they’ve done their job raising them a bit?
Yeah. She didnt peck at it. It just got out from under her (like they do) and the other hens started pecking it. She fidnt protect it. They may be a little depressed but I'm going to do it to my mama. Btw, Plum, the hen whose chick got killed now has 2 babies that she has been a good momma to so far. More are hatching. But she is alone. So she can do her normal thing without worrying about her chicks getting killed.

Once the mama hen goes back with the babies, have you found that she has a new sense of empowerment lol, like will she possibly stick up for herself reentering the flock w the newbies?
Im really not sure. I have researched a lot but I'm not letting her enter the flock with her babies. They will stay with her until they are sold.

Putting chicks near other broody hens is very different than putting them into the flock. Generally hens ignore chicks while the mother scuffles with her flock mates. Many broody hens will not allow other chicks near them. It may be an instinct to make sure their chicks do not have to compete for food. I just had a low ranking hen hatch 3 chicks and successfully raise them in the flock. I do provide plenty of spaces where she can hide away from the others. I also have food where the chicks can get to that adults cannot.

Putting chicks near other broody hens is very different than putting them into the flock. Generally hens ignore chicks while the mother scuffles with her flock mates. Many broody hens will not allow other chicks near them. It may be an instinct to make sure their chicks do not have to compete for food. I just had a low ranking hen hatch 3 chicks and successfully raise them in the flock. I do provide plenty of spaces where she can hide away from the others. I also have food where the chicks can get to that adults cannot.
None of my other hens are broody at the moment, my only other one that goes broody is my silkie and she’s been over it for about a month now. Do you find that other broody hens are more prone to peck at the chicks?

I have done this several times successfully. It's my favorite thing!

I find that separating the broody beforehand helps. She may get aggressive towards interference once she has those babies. I actually section off a part of the run and use either a crate or the duck house (the ducks don't sleep in it anymore, preferring to stay in the coop with the chickens).

If you move her before you give her chicks, it eliminates potential problems with other chickens.

Other advice:
  • Put the babies under her late at night in darkness.
  • Be prepared to sit in the coop for a while and listen. Babies peeping and mama clucking = good. Silence = not good.
  • Be prepared to take the babies out if mama pecks them HARD. She may peck a lil to get them tucked under her, but you'll know the difference.
  • You can try a few nights in succession if it doesn't work on the first night.
  • Have s brooder handy as you may end up raising them yourself.

I have done this several times successfully. It's my favorite thing!

I find that separating the broody beforehand helps. She may get aggressive towards interference once she has those babies. I actually section off a part of the run and use either a crate or the duck house (the ducks don't sleep in it anymore, preferring to stay in the coop with the chickens).

If you move her before you give her chicks, it eliminates potential problems with other chickens.

Other advice:
  • Put the babies under her late at night in darkness.
  • Be prepared to sit in the coop for a while and listen. Babies peeping and mama clucking = good. Silence = not good.
  • Be prepared to take the babies out if mama pecks them HARD. She may peck a lil to get them tucked under her, but you'll know the difference.
  • You can try a few nights in succession if it doesn't work on the first night.
  • Have s brooder handy as you may end up raising them yourself.
Thank you so much! Let’s see if she’s still broody by next week when they arrive!

I have a black star that goes broody. The first time it was hard to break her. The next year she went broody we decided to give her chicks. We use green plastic chicken fence to create a temporary fence to separate her and her nesting box from the rest of the flock. We slipped them in in the middle of the night and listened. I went out first light to check on them and let them in their own little run area. She was the happiest clucking momma you would ever see. Also, to our surprise, she was very protective. The fencing has big enough holes that the chicks could run out and then back in for safety. The flock could easily see them. Because momma was so protective, when they were bigger we were able to let them in the yard and the sleep with the flock under momma's close watch. Integration was not a problem. Two years later (this year) she went broody and she is raising two more for us. The flock is pretty well integrated already with this second batch because the really mean girl passed when the chicks were a couple weeks old. I love the experience of watching a good momma with her chicks.

Back
Top Bottom