Giving Chicks Playtime Outside

Waters-flock

Chirping
Dec 17, 2020
Central Texas Hill Country
I have seven chicks that are two and a half weeks old. Their brooder is a puppy playpen and I have a chick playpen for taking them outside. It is a big mesh tube that I thought I could put inside their future chicken run. I would keep them supervised and as they got older, I thought I would let them explore the run and eventually the coop. How old do they have to be to start these trips? It is in the nineties here during the day so I would put them in the shade early in the day and not for long. Also, I can scan the run for snakes but we also have scorpions. I know adult chickens can deal with scorpions but what about chicks?

Any suggestions are welcomed since I’m

I brought my chicks outside when they were 2 weeks old too, just for short trips, ranging from 20 minutes to an entire afternoon. They should be okay in the heat, but I think water should be available. I don't think they're supposed to move outside until 4-6 weeks old. I don't have any idea about the scorpions.

I brought my chicks outside when they were 2 weeks old too, just for short trips, ranging from 20 minutes to an entire afternoon. They should be okay in the heat, but I think water should be available. I don't think they're supposed to move outside until 4-6 weeks old. I don't have any idea about the scorpions.
My plan was to start with short visits and gradually increase the time. And getting water set up out there makes sense. I wasn’t going to bring food since I expect they will spend their time looking for bugs. Thanks!

I brought my girls outside regularly from as early as a week old. I agree with @OreoH, your babies will need water. Also give them access to food if they get too hungry, and make sure there are shaded areas for them to hang out in. As for the scorpions, keep an eye out for them when your babies are free ranging. When they're old enough to live outside, you should provide extra protections in your coop against scorpions (no holes for them to fit through, maybe a foundation to keep them from going underneath)

The scorpions are an issue. They are everywhere where we live and although some are large enough to spot easily, some are tiny and would be difficult to spot if they are in the dirt. The best I can do is walk through the run before I let the chicks loose. I don't believe they can get into the coop - it is a wood coop with a solid bottom and a horse mat on top, with hemp over that. Yes, they will have access to shade, food and water in the run before I let them go out there. Thanks for both of your suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom