Giving chicks to a broody hen

Melarocks

In the Brooder
Jan 4, 2018
Enumclaw, WA
Hi All

We've got 2 broody hens right now that won't quit so we're giving in and giving them chicks. The hens are together but separated from the rest of the flock. I've always seen to sneak the chicks in under the broodies but no other details. We've only raised chicks in a brooder before, not with a hen.

Should we add the chicks tonight (10-11pm) or early tomorrow (5am)?

Do we put out chick feed in addition to mom's normal feed?

We're near Mt. Rainier in Washington state so I'm concerned about the hens not keeping the babies warm enough over night. We'll be watching for hen attacks as well. What else are we missing? All considerations appreciated!

Hi All

We've got 2 broody hens right now that won't quit so we're giving in and giving them chicks. The hens are together but separated from the rest of the flock. I've always seen to sneak the chicks in under the broodies but no other details. We've only raised chicks in a brooder before, not with a hen.

Should we add the chicks tonight (10-11pm) or early tomorrow (5am)?

Do we put out chick feed in addition to mom's normal feed?

We're near Mt. Rainier in Washington state so I'm concerned about the hens not keeping the babies warm enough over night. We'll be watching for hen attacks as well. What else are we missing? All considerations appreciated!
Putting them in at night is the best option. Chances are, if your hens are persistent broodies, they'll adopt them. But, just in case, a red, infrared heat lamp off to the side, might be helpful, in case the broodies reject the chicks or the chicks don't figure out to get back under the Mommas. That will ensure they are warm enough. (Some broodies will reject even their own hatchlings, so it varies by hen)
I always put just chick feed to start, and a few days later, add adult feed for the hens, but chick feed alone is fine too. Mine have done fine either way.
To make the chicks strong and healthy, I finely shred leafy greens and other treats when they're about a week old. And I introduce millet and small bird seed for moms and chicks. They grow beautifully 😊

Putting them in at night is the best option. Chances are, if your hens are persistent broodies, they'll adopt them. But, just in case, a red, infrared heat lamp off to the side, might be helpful, in case the broodies reject the chicks or the chicks don't figure out to get back under the Mommas. That will ensure they are warm enough. (Some broodies will reject even their own hatchlings, so it varies by hen)
Thanks! When you put them in at night you mean like 10 pm tonight? I like the idea of the heat lamp just in case!

Thanks! When you put them in at night you mean like 10 pm tonight? I like the idea of the heat lamp just in case!
As soon as it's dark outside, their instinct to "sleep" kicks in, even more so with broodies. The red heat lamp produces less light, but provides warmth, as an extra level of protection. Even your broodies will relax with a little extra warmth 😊

Feed only chick starter, the chicks need this full spectrum nutrituinal feed for the first month or so. After that you can give a few treets and not have much wory about development issues.
How long have yur broodies been brooding?
You should try to mimmic the natural process, 3 weeks brooding say, golf balls, then after darkness falls, place chicks and remove golf balls. This also gives the hen all night to become acccustomed to chicks movement and noises.by morning she will be all set to mother them.
I dontlike the extra heat idea. Not necessary. Nature has made the broody sufficiet to warm her brood. A nice nest of straw or hay would be nice.
Watch that your 2 broodies do not fight over chicks with each other. This has been known to happen.
rejection of chicks sometimes happens when hen has not had sufficient time brooding first.
Good luck!

Feed only chick starter, the chicks need this full spectrum nutrituinal feed for the first month or so. After that you can give a few treets and not have much wory about development issues.
How long have yur broodies been brooding?
They have been broody over 2 weeks. I'm not exactly sure but it seems like forever. My concern is that they won't tuck the chicks in under them if I add them when the hen is in stupor for the night and they'll chill and die. If she accepts them then I know she can keep them warm.
they have a separate coop with pine shavings and a secured run on the front with feed and water. We moved them from brooding in the regular laying boxes yesterday and hope to add the chicks tonight. 5 chicks each. We are prepared to scoop up the chicks and put them in the brooder if neither hen is a good mom. We could also take out the bad mom and leave all 10 with the good mom.
Sounds like we'll add them tonight and I'll sleep poorly running out to check on them! 😆

@50-45-1, do you advise moving the hen to a spot on the floor if she is in one of the regular nests? When the chicks are big enough to move around, you don't want them falling out of the nest. We moved our broodies into a separate building along with their eggs before they hatched so that wouldn't happen but it was our first time and we were very nervous parents!

They have been broody over 2 weeks. I'm not exactly sure but it seems like forever. My concern is that they won't tuck the chicks in under them if I add them when the hen is in stupor for the night and they'll chill and die. If she accepts them then I know she can keep them warm.
they have a separate coop with pine shavings and a secured run on the front with feed and water. We moved them from brooding in the regular laying boxes yesterday and hope to add the chicks tonight. 5 chicks each. We are prepared to scoop up the chicks and put them in the brooder if neither hen is a good mom. We could also take out the bad mom and leave all 10 with the good mom.
Sounds like we'll add them tonight and I'll sleep poorly running out to check on them! 😆

Lol I see you are way ahead of me! 🤣

Chickens stay put and dont move around much in the dark.
If you DONT have the light on them so its dark. place the chicks under the broody, they will stay there until morning. You can keep going out to check, but it will be more of an interuption to broody and chick bonding than helpfull.
Like i say my biggest concern is the 2 broodies in one enclosure. Sometimes they fight when chicks arrive.

@Melarocks, I don't think you have much to worry about. If mama hen wakes up to discover babies under her, chances are she will think she has died and gone to chicken heaven! Occasionally there will be a bad chicken mama, but mostly they love babies. We had one mama that was so possessive of her babies she was vicious to others, but we put up a sturdy barrier between her and the other chicken families and all was well.

Back
Top Bottom