Giving chicks to a broody hen?

MiniatureCochin

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 30, 2011
I have a cochin hen that has been broody for over a week now, and I was thinking about getting a few cornish rock chicks from TSC. Would it be possible to give them to her to raise? Has anyone done this with success?

Thank you,

MC

I did this a couple of years ago, but waited until she had been broody for a bit longer to make sure she was really determined. I even tried to break her of her broodiness and failed. I pulled out the non fertile eggs she was on and slipped day-olds under her after dark one night. She was surprised, but took to it just fine and raised the 2 babies. I did keep her and the babies away from my other big girls for a few weeks to make sure they didn't get picked. My broody was lowest on the pecking order prior to this.

I have added chicks to a hen that already had some, but never put chicks under one that hadn't hatched any yet. I actually had 3 broody hens at the same time, they all hatched 12 chicks. But 2 of the decided they didn't want to be moms very long and left the chicks. The other poor hen had 36 chicks she took care of for months.

So I shouldn't give her chicks just like that, but I could add to a hen with chicks?
I've got 2 broodies who are supposed to hatch chicks on Easter, so could I put in a couple chicks with those, if they do end up hatching?

My neighbor tried putting chicks under a hen that had been broody for a week, the hen killed 9 of the 11 chicks. So I don't know what to tell you.

I just put 4 - 4 day old chicks under my broody Midget White Turkey. I purchased some fertilized eggs from some folks back east and one almost hatched but got "stuck". We had a hard time getting the poor thing away from her but it was dead when we got home from work. Clara has sat on chicken eggs and hatched and raised them so she is experienced. I was worried about the age of these chicks though. Not a problem, she heard them peeping as I was carrying her to the chicken pen (in the barn rather then the hen house) and started calling to them before we got there. Within seconds, she had them all under her. We are in day 4 now and she takes them to food and water and walks around with them on her back. This hen has always loved having chicks so we were hopeful and she did not let us down. Clara has become a favorite around our place. So far she has raised 3 Buff chicks, 2 Barred Rocks and 1 RI Red. Now she gets to raise her own kind this time! HOPEFULLY one of these 4 will be a Tom!! I do think it is important though that you seperate the broody hen from the rest of the hens!

Back
Top Bottom