Giving guineas away :'(

Pics

yakitori

Crowing
Jun 22, 2020
New York
I'm writing this to say goodbye to my guinea adventures :hit. I didn't realize how loud 3 guineas could be, and although I'm not right next to my neighbors, they are definitely within earshot... and there's no sound barrier between my property and theirs. We are not familiar with each other and I don't want to invite trouble due to noise. They might be really nice people, I don't know, but I don't want to risk it raising attention to the fact that I have more birds than zoning laws allow:oops:.
I've been putting it off... but a friend just offered to take them to a nice home so it's now or never I guess. I'm going to miss them. I can't believe those three little terrified keets who huddled in the corner of the brooder are now this big and knocking on my storm door everyday. I definitely hope to have guinea fowls again in the future...

I'm writing this to say goodbye to my guinea adventures :hit. I didn't realize how loud 3 guineas could be, and although I'm not right next to my neighbors, they are definitely within earshot... and there's no sound barrier between my property and theirs. We are not familiar with each other and I don't want to invite trouble due to noise. They might be really nice people, I don't know, but I don't want to risk it raising attention to the fact that I have more birds than zoning laws allow:oops:.
I've been putting it off... but a friend just offered to take them to a nice home so it's now or never I guess. I'm going to miss them. I can't believe those three little terrified keets who huddled in the corner of the brooder are now this big and knocking on my storm door everyday. I definitely hope to have guinea fowls again in the future...

:hit :hit :hit :hit They're gone :hit :hit :hit :hit
They let themselves be picked up and put in the pet carrier without a fuss, just when like when they were little and it was time for bed. They probably thought they were just going to bed somewhere else. I'm sorry :( I miss them so much.
:hugs

:hit :hit :hit :hit They're gone :hit :hit :hit :hit
They let themselves be picked up and put in the pet carrier without a fuss, just when like when they were little and it was time for bed. They probably thought they were just going to bed somewhere else. I'm sorry :( I miss them so much.
Ah Yakitori, how bittersweet!!! Bitter because you no longer have your wonderful and apparently very tame guineas!!! Sweet because: 1) it’s so wonderful that you have a friend willing to take them! Hopefully they are locked up for at least six weeks so they know where home now is and don’t leave it to look for you. 2) hopefully your friend will get more guineas and they can form a large happy flock of like minded birds! 3) they left in such a calm, low stress way! No drama and trauma; so much better for everyone. Maybe it feels like you tricked them, but fleeing in terror is a much worse way for them to start their new life!

I hope that your little flock is very happy in their new home, and that you find comfort in doing the best that you can for them. :hugs

Ah Yakitori, how bittersweet!!! Bitter because you no longer have your wonderful and apparently very tame guineas!!! Sweet because: 1) it’s so wonderful that you have a friend willing to take them! Hopefully they are locked up for at least six weeks so they know where home now is and don’t leave it to look for you. 2) hopefully your friend will get more guineas and they can form a large happy flock of like minded birds! 3) they left in such a calm, low stress way! No drama and trauma; so much better for everyone. Maybe it feels like you tricked them, but fleeing in terror is a much worse way for them to start their new life!

I hope that your little flock is very happy in their new home, and that you find comfort in doing the best that you can for them. :hugs

They're going to a nice big homestead with some peafowls and chickens. I told my friend 3 weeks in the pen until she can let them out, but I better correct that. I'm feeling a bit better now, the three chickens on the bottom of the pecking order would probably be really happy too. I wonder if General BSL and Second in Command EE will miss them, they always hung out together...
You know, Ive been thinking about doing this for weeks and thought I was mentally prepared. I really didn't think it would make me this sad :(

I should shut up because I would probably ask you if you can't get them back after you talked to your neighbor and asked if the noise bothers them at all... if they say no, you would be able to keep them. Our neighbors don't care about the noise - Thank God!

If you explain that you gave them away because you wanted to be considerate, but you miss them so much - maybe that would make the neighbors more kind-hearted and -minded towards the idea of having them around?

They do seem young and maybe they will be ok in the new place - but yes, 6 weeks minimum, I would do 6 months to be safe, if they can live inside somewhere.

:(

Aw-

Mine do that, also. "Heh, watcha doin'? Come n' play, gotta snack? We're ready to go in, and where ya been?". I'm not sure how I know which they mean, but we all enjoy it. It might be a good time to meet the neighbors. I worried abt that, as well as the 6 of them trotting over to dirt bathe in her borders. She's the one that found Bella1 after she'd been hit. She cried. When she saw me trying to chase them out of her yard, she told me to leave them alone. She watches out for them and worries if she doesn't see them for a few days.- she usually hates me but loves the birds.:lau

I should shut up because I would probably ask you if you can't get them back after you talked to your neighbor and asked if the noise bothers them at all... if they say no, you would be able to keep them. Our neighbors don't care about the noise - Thank God!

If you explain that you gave them away because you wanted to be considerate, but you miss them so much - maybe that would make the neighbors more kind-hearted and -minded towards the idea of having them around?

They do seem young and maybe they will be ok in the new place - but yes, 6 weeks minimum, I would do 6 months to be safe, if they can live inside somewhere.

:(

Apparently they took to the place right away. I got a call from my friend to tell me 1) “hey, there’s civil war happening here, the peahen doesn’t want them near her babies and the rooster doesn’t appreciate the new intruders coming up to his girls” 😂 and 2) “they came running right up to me in the morning! why are they so tame!”

I’m glad they have a lot of space there. They are only 20 minutes away, so I’ll visit often.

As for the neighbors... I wish I could be that easy outgoing charismatic person who could talk to them. But I’m so afraid that talking to them will alert them to the fact that I’m a couple of chickens over the zoning limit. I’ve never been much of a social person, it’s not that I don’t try, but rather it never really ends well when I do :(

Maybe one day we’ll strike up a conversation and be friends...but for now, they haven’t really approached me... who knows what the future will hold.

Aw-

Mine do that, also. "Heh, watcha doin'? Come n' play, gotta snack? We're ready to go in, and where ya been?". I'm not sure how I know which they mean, but we all enjoy it. It might be a good time to meet the neighbors. I worried abt that, as well as the 6 of them trotting over to dirt bathe in her borders. She's the one that found Bella1 after she'd been hit. She cried. When she saw me trying to chase them out of her yard, she told me to leave them alone. She watches out for them and worries if she doesn't see them for a few days.- she usually hates me but loves the birds.:lau

That’s so sweet! Sounds like a grumpy old lady 😂

Back
Top Bottom