Giving my broody hen fertilized eggs

AshG

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2023
Hello,
I am new to chickens and only have 4 as per municipal rules. I don’t have a rooster but just realized one of my hens is broody. Moving her, giving her treats and removing nesting boxes were unsuccessful. I decided to purchase fertilized eggs to give her and give the babies to my sister for her farm. My question is, do I just put the eggs under her? Can I leave her in the coop with the others? They have two nesting boxes for the four of them. They are all red sex links (which aren’t supposed to go broody). I have seen blogs and post suggesting seperating them but honnestly, that isn’t something that is easily do able. When the chicks hatch, can I put them and the mom in a wired dog crate outside in the coop run? Our days are currently 25° to 30° with nights around 20°). Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Yes, you can do all that :)
The only problem with leaving a broody hen with the others, is that they can add eggs to her nest. If those new eggs were fertile, then you could get a stagged hatch, which is one of the last things you want. In your case, you still don't really want them there, in case they go bad, so just mark the fertile eggs and check every few days.

If all the other hens insist on piling in on her, a day or two before the eggs start hatching (so day 19/20) you will want consider if you can block the nest off, just to give her a little more privacy at that time.
And yes, just put the eggs under her.
Temps shouldn't be a problem, broody hens are very capable of keeping chicks warm.

Yes, you can do all that :)
The only problem with leaving a broody hen with the others, is that they can add eggs to her nest. If those new eggs were fertile, then you could get a stagged hatch, which is one of the last things you want. In your case, you still don't really want them there, in case they go bad, so just mark the fertile eggs and check every few days.

If all the other hens insist on piling in on her, a day or two before the eggs start hatching (so day 19/20) you will want consider if you can block the nest off, just to give her a little more privacy at that time.
And yes, just put the eggs under her.
Temps shouldn't be a problem, broody hens are very capable of keeping chicks warm.
Thank you very much for your fast reply! This chicken business is stressful 😂

Just put the broody in the dog crate with just a roost. Sex links do go broody.
If you are only allowed to have 4, you shouldn't be hatching chicks.
It's best to seperate a broody because they'll fight in the nest box and break the eggs

Just put the broody in the dog crate with just a roost. Sex links do go broody.
If you are only allowed to have 4, you shouldn't be hatching chicks.
It's best to seperate a broody because they'll fight in the nest box and break the eggs
My broody hen is the top of the pecking order and she is mighty hateful the last 2 days. Nobody has gone near her and she doesn’t even have eggs under her yet so I thought she may be ok. I also understand that with bylaws, I shouldn’t be adding more chickens but they will promptly be rehomed when old enough and honnestly seems to be the easiest way to deal with cranky Bernadette.

I shouldn’t be adding more chickens but they will promptly be rehomed when old enough and honnestly seems to be the easiest way to deal with cranky Bernadette.
One point that I didn't think to mention, is that the time a broody hen weens her chicks can vary a lot.
Anywhere between 3 to 10 weeks. Having said that, I think most hens don't really care if you take them away after say 5 weeks, even if without intervention she would go longer.

Back
Top Bottom