GL Wyandotte chick with extra appendage

LoriL

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 11, 2011
Wichita, KS urban backyard
My Coop
My Coop

This little two week old hatchery chick has what looks like an extra toe extending from it's abdomen, near where the normal right leg is. When I contacted McMurray Hatchery, they say it should not have been shipped, and credited the purchase price, but gave no advice on what to do with her. My husband thinks he should clip it off. I'm not sure that's necessary or safe to do. Have any of you ever done this? Worried it will cause bleeding that will attract the other chicks' attention, and create other problems for this chick. I have not witnessed any bullying so far by the other chicks. If it should be removed, anyone know how it should be done? She does seem slightly smaller and less developed than the other chicks of the same age at this point.

That is really something! I wonder if it was a twin or a genetic defect. I would keep her purely for the science aspect (as long as she is not suffering in any way) And have a necropsy done when the time comes. Or, maybe a vet or vet school would be interested in examining and treating her? Cutting the piece off is a crap shoot. There are some really good blood stop powders, it could work. Wondering if any of the appendage is also growing inside.....These kind of things interest me, defective animals raise alarm for me, what's in the water, feed, how much are genetics being manipulated.... Would love to know what you do with her, whether she is able to live normally or not....She might make for a great special needs chicken love story one day!
smile.png

My inclination is to do nothing but observe, as well. Very disappointed in McMurray, as this is my only gold-laced Wyandotte. With a small urban flock of 6, I can neither raise my own stock, nor order more. I hope whatever internal issues she might also have won't prevent her from laying, as eggs are the main reason I have chickens. Which is not to say I don't also get great enjoyment from them as well! As a scientist myself, I too am very curious as to her internal plumbing! Have seen human autopsies, but never a chicken, thus far.

My inclination is to do nothing but observe, as well. Very disappointed in McMurray, as this is my only gold-laced Wyandotte. With a small urban flock of 6, I can neither raise my own stock, nor order more. I hope whatever internal issues she might also have won't prevent her from laying, as eggs are the main reason I have chickens. Which is not to say I don't also get great enjoyment from them as well! As a scientist myself, I too am very curious as to her internal plumbing! Have seen human autopsies, but never a chicken, thus far.

She will certainly be an interesting study. On the positive side, since only the left chicken ovary works anyway, she might be able to lay. Lets hope.
smile.png

Still thinking of you and the chick....

Thanks for your interest! The chick seems to be doing pretty well, although she is probably 1/3 smaller than the other Wyandotte. I'm hoping the older hens won't pick on her when it's time to move them in together. I haven't noticed any particular bullying behavior from the other two chicks. Moved them out to the junior coop this week, and they've gotten a lot of attention from one of the older hens who seems ready to kill them all, given a chance. Hoping they'll all work it out without too much difficulty when we move them together in a couple of months. I'm on the road for a couple of weeks, but will post some new photos of Tripod when I get back home.

Thanks for your interest! The chick seems to be doing pretty well, although she is probably 1/3 smaller than the other Wyandotte. I'm hoping the older hens won't pick on her when it's time to move them in together. I haven't noticed any particular bullying behavior from the other two chicks. Moved them out to the junior coop this week, and they've gotten a lot of attention from one of the older hens who seems ready to kill them all, given a chance. Hoping they'll all work it out without too much difficulty when we move them together in a couple of months. I'm on the road for a couple of weeks, but will post some new photos of Tripod when I get back home.

Thanks for the update! I'm glad she is still around and doing ok. At least her brooder mates accept her the way she is. I hope that is the case with the older birds..great name for her btw! Would love to see pics! Have a good trip! TTYS
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom