Kimber321

In the Brooder
Feb 27, 2021
I had chickens when I was little, but I wasn't the one caring for them. I have now hand raised 3 pullets, 2 of which have just started laying. I got them a rooster from auction today and the poor guy looks a little worse for the wear. He's a silkie with a very large comb and it lays over one eye. He was extremely hungry and dirty, so I'm afraid he wasn't very well cared for. He's super sweet, though. Is it possible his comb will stand back up? It isn't purple at all, it is very red.

Also, my hens ate styrofoam last week and I'm afraid my Wyandotte got some stuck in her craw? I've noticed she's seemed smaller and she is keeping her mouth open constantly. It isn't hot outside. It's only in the 70s. Is it possible to get styrofoam out of her craw, if that is what the problem is? I saw the method where you give them water, mash the craw around to loosen up the contents, then hold them face down with the beak open while massaging the contents upward until they bring it up.

They seem to be having diarrhea awfully often, also. I use diatamaceous earth in their layer food and have also dusted them, the coop and the pen with it. I have always used Apple Cider Vinegar in their water, and the past several days I've been giving them diced yellow squash with a touch of onion and just a few cut up green grapes with the d earth on it in case they have worms. Their treats are sunflower seeds and chicken scratch. Could something I'm feeding them be causing the diarrhea?

Back
Top Bottom