Glad to be part of your community

BrocktonChicks

In the Brooder
Feb 25, 2017
Hello. We are about a year into our chicken journey. We live on the South shore of Massachusetts. We started with 6 chicks. 3 ri reds and 3 buff orps. Unfortunately over the first year we mysteriously lost one of each. No signs of struggle we just chalked it up to nature. This May we picked up 6 more chicks from a friend who's son brought them home without permission. Been a little rough. Was able to split the coop but a hole developed where the roosting bar was resting on the fence and two of our 7 week old chicks made it in with the big girls. Unfortunately only one made it out alive and she is segregated from the rest with some serious feather loss on her head. Very sad! So needless to say we are very worried about combining our flock. Hope I can be of some help here and look forward to being part of your community. Thanks for having us. Jesse

Welcome to BYC 2.gif

Last edited:
Ronnot1-I am going to be incubating Brahma's and Silkies at the same time,so,they'll essentially hatch together,if they grow up as chicks together will they be tolerant of each other as adults?
I know almost nothing about Brahmas, but my Silkies pretty much get along with everybody! I don't know whether it's that they're not very bright, not very aggressive or just plain mellow, but they just seem to all get along!

Welcome! Integrating is nearly always a challenge, but if you make sure the two groups can see each other through a wire "window," they can get used to each other without touching (or hurting) anyone. Letting the novelty wear off long before they actually get together should make blending the flock a good bit easier.
And did I say Welcome? 'Cause you are!

Back
Top Bottom