Glands

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by danschicks, Feb 4, 2009.

1. danschicks

danschicks Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2008
    Virginia
    I'm starting my first order of meat birds next week. I have read when butchering them to remove the glands from the roos tails or simply cut the tails off. I don't recall store bought birds having the tails cut off or cut open. Am I missing something? Can someone go into some detail on the issue with glands? Thanks

2. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:If I recall correctly, I think the store birds get the tails completely cut off, and it's just not noticeable. Either way is pretty easy to do.

3. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    It depends on where you get the chickens from, some stores I've been to have them off... and others have them on.

But ya either way the gland either needs to be cut out, or completely removed with the tail.

4. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    They have the gland cut out. It is very easy to do. The tail is one of the good parts.

5. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    I don't recall seeing store bought birds with no tails, I'd notice because I like the tails. The glands are in a raised area at the base of the tail, where it connects to the body. (Upper side, not vent side) If you slice horizontally under that bump, you get most of the two oil glands, and can easily pinch or scrape out the rest, they're easy to see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by