Glass Eggs - Can they kill snakes?

Quote:
My farmer neighbor puts Coke out for the rodents... says they can't burp and bloat up from the carbonation... I'd think root beer would work well also. Can snakes burp?

Last edited:
I think avoidance is key, hardware cloth etc. They make chemical repellent as well. Snake isn't playing with it's food or being intentionally cruel unlike cats or dogs. Anyone stop to consider what dying of internal injuries from CRUSHED glass feels like??! There's a difference between protecting your animals humanely vs. Inflicting intentional cruelties...

I don't know about glass eggs, light bulbs, or golf balls. But I do know my grandmothers anti-snake trick works. Take an egg and blow out the insides (poke a hole in the big end, twirl a broomstraw to mix contents and a soda straw to insert and blow out the inside), then fill with salt. This targets only the egg eating snake, when the egg crushes inside the snake, the salt will kill it.

This is an old wives tale. I have a pet Bullsnake which would eat eggs if I gave them to it & I can tell you right now, it would not eat a glass egg just the same as it wouldn't swallow a egg shaped rock or a fake egg or an egg blown out and stuffed with something. They have keen senses of smell. It is not the shape of the object but the smell. One thing about snakes is that they only eat when they have to. If my Bullsnake is not hungry, there is nothing I can do to "make it eat." Snakes are also very discriminating about what they eat.

I put golf balls in my nest boxes and snakes don't eat them. I had a bad snake problem this summer. I was going to inject bleach into the eggs. My brother in law is a diabetic and I figured his needles would be the perfect size. The DH talked me out of it said we had enough eggs to share with the snake.

A week later he killed the snake when it went to the cow pen. what!

Good luck with the snake problem.

I had a snake eat a woodes egg I had in the nest once and could not leave the pen as the egg wouldn't go through so he sat and struggled to get out and I chopped him the next morning .

If you have ever been on a farm there certain kinds of snakes that like to hide in the next so we would replace glass eggs in the next. the snake would would leave the nest and to the nearest poll and wrapped it self round the polled and break the eggs and it would like the snake when the eggs would get crushed

if you use a hollow egg the snake will eat it and then the snake wraps its self around a limb to brake the egg . the broken glass inside the snake kills it. you can do the same think with salt. make a small hole in the egg and remove the yoke, and replace it with salt when the snake breaks the egg all of the salt will kill the snake.

moth balls scattered around my coops work for detering snakes and my chickens dont eat them. pretty cheap repellant.
good luck

There is some stuff called Repels-All it is a animals repellent and it worked for our raccoon problem and it says rats on the bottle so i dont see why it wouldnt work on mice.

Back
Top Bottom