Glass jars

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by farmertank, Jun 29, 2010.

1. farmertank

farmertank Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    Linden TN
    I keep all the glass jars from like store bought jam, sauce, pickles etc. I have loads of them. I reuse some of them and have made some into crafts. I was wondering if anyone else does this and what do you do with them. I need ideas, and if it's crafty I'll need pics if you would be so kind.

Thanks,
    Julie [​IMG]

2. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    I make sand out of them at the target range.

3. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I keep them as well. I use mine for pickled eggs, apple sauce etc, like you I reuse them. I am not crafty at all [​IMG] So I keep them until there is no room then toss them and start over. I am curious to see if anyone comes up with some brilliant, cute use for them [​IMG]

4. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Right now I'm celebrating my first dipped toe into the canning pool...

My pickles sealed up tight as drums... no clue what they taste like, but the seals work!
    So, when I picture jars that's what I think of.

But, I've seen others make candy dispensers out of them (the jar holds the gumballs)
    I've seen cookie, cake, soup mixes with instructions (love those)

Actually years ago I had shelves and I screwed the lids to the bottom of the shelf and then put my nails, screws, staples, etc in the jars and then they had a secure place out of the way that didn't take up shelf space.

5. farmertank

farmertank Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    Linden TN
    Quote:I do this lol I also make the soups and cookie mixes as gifts. I just have so many that my cupboards are full and I really need new ideas lol. I also put a string of lights and potpourri in with them and light them up they are so pretty and smell pretty. I even made a terrarium with a big gallon pickle one, but I had a friend that really liked it, so I gave it away. Now I don't have anymore gallon size ones lol

Julie [​IMG]

6. bantamamba

bantamamba Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    I tend to make specimen jars out of them, using a preservative alcohol, food colouring... "specimens" crafted from various materials such as latex and clay. Great for Halloween props and people will actually buy 'em, ha. My favourites to craft are the itty-bitty monster fetus jars which can be hung on necklaces or earrings. No pics atm, though. Wrong computer.

7. PineappleMama

Ohhhhh hey... combine the shelf idea with the light idea... you could put them all along your windows... they'd look like GIANT Christmas lights... oh yes... the noggin is a kickin now...

Edit... little terrariums?
    Add tealight/other candle and hang from a plant hook as a 'lamp'
    Make a hole and put in a pump for lotions?
    Make a hole, insert straw, for spill free (but glass yikes) kids cups

My problem isn't not having an idea... it's not having tons of jars.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  8. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    And to add in a chicken related note- breeders will sometimes use jars (usually a quart and up) as watering dishes for individual pens (be it pairs, or a single bird..) I use water/milk jugs myself.

9. PineappleMama

Ohhh doing a bit of googling and lookit this one...

[​IMG]

Isn't that nifty?

10. hughmac312

hughmac312 Out Of The Brooder

i use mine to aggravate my wife

she asks me all the time why i save stuff

i save plastic trays that frozen dinners come in, the plastic containers for crystal light drinks,
    the plastic containers from my local oriental restaurant

drives her nuts, lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by