Glass Window - Will Chickens Break The Glass??

mcf3kids

Songster
8 Years
Mar 24, 2011
We are building our first coop and I am putting in two glass windows for ventilation and natural light. I am wondering if chickens peck at the glass and could they break it? Thank you for your help!!

I have glass windows and my girls peck at the windows with no problems. The glass isn't that fragile.

That said, if something scared the begeezus out of the and they flew wildly into it, can't answer you there. I'm banking on that not happening!

I don't know if they can break it or not, but were put wire over the inside as added protection for them and against anything breaking in from the outside.
The problem with the wire is dust collects in there and it's hard to clean out.

If it's right in front of the roost, they could break it. We did this, a hinged hardware cloth screen on the inside. That way, we can open the window and it's predator proof, plus they won't break the window if one flies into it.

DCP_5869.jpg

Quote:
go to the computer aisle at walmart and get you a couple cans of that compressed air, get that dust right out of there!

I have an air compresser but it really blows it around so to be honest, I only do it once a year.
They make the dust, they'll be fine is my thinking
smile.png

I love what you did to cover the window and still have access to it. Thanks for the idea and the responses!

We found an old garden herb window like they put in kitchens.The chickens love it. The windows slide open so screens are open in summer (re-enforced with hard wire) and closed in winter but they can climb in and get sun baths!
tongue.png

hi, i put hardwire cloth outside the window, so nothing can get in with the windows open, but i didnt put any hardwire cloth on the windows that face inside the run and they flew at the window screen and like broke through, but that was just the screen, so i dont think they will break through. although, when they get all riled up, they like to run around and jump on the window ledge and therefore the glass window and it just shakes and rattles a lil bit, but nothing mayjor.

hope this helps
big_smile.png

The "canned air" idea is a good one, or you may be able to turn the air pressure down on the compressor. OR the auto parts stores have a sort of trigger controlled "gun" attachment also.
idunno.gif
BUT, they kinda won't break the normal window glass. Glass is most vulnerable at it's edge, .... go figure!

Back
Top Bottom