Gleet Treatment Not Working

KariApple129

In the Brooder
Feb 6, 2018
Hi All - I'm newish to chicken-tending and could use as much advise as I can get. I live in a fairly urban area in Southern California, so I struggle with resources (such as a vet that will treat a chicken) and finding local groups with general knowledge that can help me. Basically, I rely heavily on the advice I've foudn through these forums.

That said, my poor Olive (3 y/o Barred Rock mix) is struggling. She has all the signsof vent gleet (runny yellow/green stools, lethargy, huddled up, weight loss, hasn't laid an egg in who knows how long...). I've been giving her regular bum baths to remove any stuck on poo then applying anti-fungal ointment to her vent. She gets a breakfast of plain yogurt with raw oatmeal every morning and her water has apple cider vinegar (with the mother) as well as garlic cloves in it. In the past 2 weeks, she started to improve, but over the past 3 days she's taken a nose dive. She's horribly thin, her comb is pale and floppier than normal and she's now refusing her breakfast. I fear the end is very close, but I'm hoping someone on here can give some advice on anything else I can do that may save her.

As for potential causes, I suspect two causes - one is the food I've been feeding the flock. At some point, moisture got into their food tube and the food went moldy. That food has been replaced and the tube cleaned. Also, the girls suddenly got in the habit of sleeping in their nesting boxes. I've been blocking off the boxes at night to stop this behavior. I only have 4 hens right now and Olive is the only one that is sick. The other 3 seem perfectly fine, but I am constantly monitoring them and they have access to all the same treatment Olive (they're just not getting the regular bum baths nor antifungal ointment).

At 3 she could be suffering from a reproductive problem, like a cancer, or infection, those are not uncommon. Does her abdomen feel bloated at all? Hard, or water balloon like? Is her crop emptying normally, or is it also slow? It should be empty first thing in the morning before she eats or drinks, assuming she's eating at all. If it's large, soft and squishy, doughy or hard, then she may not be digesting correctly, which can also be a sign of a reproductive problem. I would stop the oatmeal, it is hard for them to digest. Mixing her regular feed with some water to make a mash would be better, and you can offer some cooked/scrambled egg, or a bit of canned tuna to encourage her to eat. I would give her nothing but that to eat, and clean, fresh, plain water. Giving her some poultry nutri drench for a few days may give her a bit of a boost, it sometimes helps with appetite. But don't give for more than a few days, it can cause diahrea if used longer. If it's been more than two weeks since the feed issue, then I suspect it's not that that is causing her problems.
https://the-chicken-chick.com/the-shocking-effect-of-oatmeal/

Thank you - I'll try making a mash instead. Her crop typically seems partially full and is soft. You hit on my biggest fear, that it could be a reproductive problem. I did check early on and she was not egg bound, but, as you mention, at 3 I have been consistently worried that it could be a cancer.

So sorry. Unfortunately we often don't know for sure until after they pass and a necropsy is done. It is often so hard to tell exactly what is going on inside. :hugs

Back here to conclude the story. We lost Olive about a week and a half ago. We sent her body out for a necropsy and received confirmation that she did, indeed, have ovarian cancer. I appreciate the guidance and support given by you @coach723.

I'm so very sorry for your loss. :hugs
But very glad that you know what happened, and know that there wasn't anything that you could have done differently that would have made a difference. I'm sure she felt very cared for and loved.

Back
Top Bottom