Gleet

Tiranni

Songster
Jul 20, 2019
Hutchinson, MN
Our MMM, Large Marge, got vent fleet. We followed all the instructions from the stickied post on how to treat it. When we bathed her, we noticed her vent and the under her vent she looks all swollen. Is this part of gleet? Should we be treating her for something else as well?

IMG_20200606_092135.jpg

IMG_20200606_092138.jpg

And here is her sitting on my lap wrapped in a towel, drying off. Lol
IMG_20200606_095926_554.jpg

Our MMM, Large Marge, got vent fleet. We followed all the instructions from the stickied post on how to treat it. When we bathed her, we noticed her vent and the under her vent she looks all swollen. Is this part of gleet? Should we be treating her for something else as well?

View attachment 2180370
View attachment 2180382

And here is her sitting on my lap wrapped in a towel, drying off. Lol
View attachment 2180385
Has she been laying eggs?
What's her poop like?

Has she been laying eggs?
What's her poop like?
I'm not sure if she's laying honestly. I think she is, as we have been getting the normal amount of eggs. We have a flock of 15, and they lay throughout the day, so I'm not sure who lays what normally.

Her poop is normal, but she looks like she's leaking a little between normal poop- which is caking her butt feathers up. We're going to try yogurt mash and adding some apple cider vinegar to her water now, along with separating her from the rest of the flock. I will let you know if she lays.

The "bulge" below the vent can be seen sometimes in hens that have a bit of fluid in the abdomen, they may be having some reproductive issues - hard to know unless you lose them and open them up (don't mean to sound morbid there). Does that feel hard or fluid filled?

Is she leaking poop or a discharge like yeast, egg yolk/albumen?
There may be pressure there. Getting a fecal float to check for worms is always a good idea as well.

Is she lethargic? Not eating/drinking, etc.? Is she getting picked on?
Separating her is o.k. but I rarely separate a hen unless they are very ill and need specialized care. They are much happier with the flock.

She's been acting normal. The leeking stuff is white with a little of the green brown.
The "bulge" below the vent can be seen sometimes in hens that have a bit of fluid in the abdomen, they may be having some reproductive issues - hard to know unless you lose them and open them up (don't mean to sound morbid there). Does that feel hard or fluid filled?

Is she leaking poop or a discharge like yeast, egg yolk/albumen?
There may be pressure there. Getting a fecal float to check for worms is always a good idea as well.

Is she lethargic? Not eating/drinking, etc.? Is she getting picked on?
Separating her is o.k. but I rarely separate a hen unless they are very ill and need specialized care. They are much happier with the flock.
She's acting normal besides her poopy swollen bottom. The leakage looks like her normal droppings, just liquid. It's white with some greenish brown.

Her bottom is a bit squishy.

She's been acting normal. The leeking stuff is white with a little of the green brown.
She's acting normal besides her poopy swollen bottom. The leakage looks like her normal droppings, just liquid. It's white with some greenish brown.

Her bottom is a bit squishy.
Sounds like she's leaking poop.
Can you take a sample to your vet to check for worms?

Back
Top Bottom