I dealing with this on one of my one year old ducks
At first we thought it was poo build up from the cold break we had
She had a small prolapse that my vet cleaned her off and got the prolapse back in
Build up happened again and they gave her antibiotics for a bacterial infection and the build up came back
I started to research and came across vent gleet
The more I read the more I realized that’s what she had
This has been over a month now with 3 vet visits ( my vets are regular vets and do the best they can but aren’t experts on avian
4 days ago I started AVC in one of the waters
I give probiotics once a day on a treat to just her
I clean her bum 3 times a day with iodine
Place canesten cream inside the vent and spray the outside area with colloidal silver
Although I think it’s not getting worse it’s not clearing up yet
I’m taking her to the avian vet 3 hours away tomorrow morning. I feel like it’s been so long with wrong diagnosis that she may need antibiotics to help clear her
She has continued to lay her egg daily at times with blood streaks but the egg is in great condition
She is acting normal
Eating and drinking lots
She is running around with her flock doing what ducks do best
I have a kid pool I fill daily so she is getting plenty of bath time
Her feathers are missing around vent now
Her poo has a strong smell
The vet has been giving her metacam to help with the swelling and pain
Any extra advice would be greatly appreciated
She is a trooper having her mom constantly invading her privacy
She is calm and let’s me do what I need to

I dealing with this on one of my one year old ducks
At first we thought it was poo build up from the cold break we had
She had a small prolapse that my vet cleaned her off and got the prolapse back in
Build up happened again and they gave her antibiotics for a bacterial infection and the build up came back
I started to research and came across vent gleet
The more I read the more I realized that’s what she had
This has been over a month now with 3 vet visits ( my vets are regular vets and do the best they can but aren’t experts on avian
4 days ago I started AVC in one of the waters
I give probiotics once a day on a treat to just her
I clean her bum 3 times a day with iodine
Place canesten cream inside the vent and spray the outside area with colloidal silver
Although I think it’s not getting worse it’s not clearing up yet
I’m taking her to the avian vet 3 hours away tomorrow morning. I feel like it’s been so long with wrong diagnosis that she may need antibiotics to help clear her
She has continued to lay her egg daily at times with blood streaks but the egg is in great condition
She is acting normal
Eating and drinking lots
She is running around with her flock doing what ducks do best
I have a kid pool I fill daily so she is getting plenty of bath time
Her feathers are missing around vent now
Her poo has a strong smell
The vet has been giving her metacam to help with the swelling and pain
Any extra advice would be greatly appreciated
She is a trooper having her mom constantly invading her privacy
She is calm and let’s me do what I need to
Hi, I can't give any advice as I am so new to all of this. But I have been dealing with this for quite some time with the neighbors chicken, as you can read in this thread above. I think the acidified copper sulfate helped some to lessen her discharge, but she needed something else orally to really get into her whole system. So I started the Miconazole on Sat. night. I am hoping it does the trick because I'm starting to run out of things to do to try and help her. And my other half is wondering how much longer we're going to have an overnight guest in our laundry room. Mind you it is a VERY small laundry room. :)

Please post updates on what you do and how your duck is doing and I will post updates as well.

Hi, I can't give any advice as I am so new to all of this. But I have been dealing with this for quite some time with the neighbors chicken, as you can read in this thread above. I think the acidified copper sulfate helped some to lessen her discharge, but she needed something else orally to really get into her whole system. So I started the Miconazole on Sat. night. I am hoping it does the trick because I'm starting to run out of things to do to try and help her. And my other half is wondering how much longer we're going to have an overnight guest in our laundry room. Mind you it is a VERY small laundry room. :)

Please post updates on what you do and how your duck is doing and I will post updates as well.
We saw the vet this morning
They did blood work we will get results in a few days
Took sample of the poo and did X-rays
She explained with gleet that won’t go away it’s usually another issue further up that’s causing it
Her liver is a bit swollen and she has that gleet further up in her stomach
She told me to continue what I’m doing and once they get the blood results back and poo samples they will know what medications she may need
I’ll update after I hear more

An update....

Here's her bum tonight before cleaning.

Started the Miconazole Saturday night at 2x day.

@New duck mommy 2021 - is this similar looking to your duck?

Attachments

• IMG_20230110_175923.jpg
    IMG_20230110_175923.jpg
    352.1 KB · Views: 6
An update....

Here's her bum tonight before cleaning.

Started the Miconazole Saturday night at 2x day.

@New duck mommy 2021 - is this similar looking to your duck?
Mine has lost more feathers since this picture and the redness has gone down
Thevbuild up is also going away
To me mine feels and looks better today
I’ll try to get a picture when I’m home but here is one from a few days back

Attachments

• 40A483B0-14AD-4B74-904D-5061F96A7341.png
    40A483B0-14AD-4B74-904D-5061F96A7341.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 4
I just wanted to give an update
All the tests are back and my duck has a bacterial infection in her intestine
The avian vet thinks this was the initial thing that then caused the gleet to happen
The gleet was secondary
She is now on antibiotics to treat the infection
Also keeping up with the gleet treatment
She also now has wet feather for the past few days
Her feathers also feel rough and are normally very soft ( I have been told my birds are beyond soft )
I’m thinking this is from the infections
I was very worried this morning. Today was the worst she has been since this all started. She has now had 2 doses of meds and was looking better tonight. She gobbled up her peas with her probiotics on them
She also took a bath on her own for the first time in days. I have had to force her and she would jump out quickly
She has continued to lay an egg everyday ( with a slight blood streaking
Her blood showed a bit anemic the vet said this is from the blood on egg and they also found a little blood in her stool
If you have a bird that is not getting better from basic treatment for gleet it’s possible there is another reason it’s happening
The avian vet immediately wanted to find the issue causing the gleet
She was correct
Let’s hope the medication works and my poor girl can finally go back to normal
Although we have got very close and I will never complain about cuddles from one of my birds I’m sure she is ready to not have mom bugging her backside several times a day ;)
Antibiotics is metronidazole

I just wanted to give an update
All the tests are back and my duck has a bacterial infection in her intestine
The avian vet thinks this was the initial thing that then caused the gleet to happen
The gleet was secondary
She is now on antibiotics to treat the infection
Also keeping up with the gleet treatment
She also now has wet feather for the past few days
Her feathers also feel rough and are normally very soft ( I have been told my birds are beyond soft )
I’m thinking this is from the infections
I was very worried this morning. Today was the worst she has been since this all started. She has now had 2 doses of meds and was looking better tonight. She gobbled up her peas with her probiotics on them
She also took a bath on her own for the first time in days. I have had to force her and she would jump out quickly
She has continued to lay an egg everyday ( with a slight blood streaking
Her blood showed a bit anemic the vet said this is from the blood on egg and they also found a little blood in her stool
If you have a bird that is not getting better from basic treatment for gleet it’s possible there is another reason it’s happening
The avian vet immediately wanted to find the issue causing the gleet
She was correct
Let’s hope the medication works and my poor girl can finally go back to normal
Although we have got very close and I will never complain about cuddles from one of my birds I’m sure she is ready to not have mom bugging her backside several times a day ;)
Antibiotics is metronidazole
Hi @New duck mommy 2021,

Thanks for the detailed update. The chicken is still laying an egg every other day, which is more than what can be said for the other seven hens right now.

What is the dosing & how long is the course for the antibiotic?
If you could please post as soon as you know if the antibiotic has either begun to help or not.
What are you using as a probiotic?

There is definately something happening with this chicken that i can't seem to figure out. The gleet/discharge is still there. It is starting to be like cement again whereas for a few days it seemed to be a white mucus.

I'll posting a pic from last night. I finally got a better shot of her belly, the skin looks blistered! Like a massive cold sore?! I didn't see the blistering with my naked eye, so I am wondering if that is somehow from the camera/lighting. I'll have to enlist the help of someone to hold her upside down so I can see her underside better. Her skin has been red all along, some days more so than others. Except for right under the vent where the gleet oozes.

The Miconazole doesn't seem to be affecting anything.

If I may ask a personal question, and you can simply say "Nunya".... I'm wondering about how much has your vet bill been for your duck and this issue?

I've been getting cuddles all along, especially when blow drying her and when I orally dose her with the Miconazole. I've even got a few coos.

Thanks so much for posting and updating.

Edited: I added the wrong pic. The second pic shows what looks like blisters.

Hi @Wyorp Rock & @azygous,

Do you folks have any other suggestions? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20230112_180743.jpg
    IMG_20230112_180743.jpg
    448.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20230111_070518.jpg
    IMG_20230111_070518.jpg
    642.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
We saw the vet this morning
They did blood work we will get results in a few days
Took sample of the poo and did X-rays
She explained with gleet that won’t go away it’s usually another issue further up that’s causing it
Her liver is a bit swollen and she has that gleet further up in her stomach
She told me to continue what I’m doing and once they get the blood results back and poo samples they will know what medications she may need
I’ll update after I hear more
Question. How do you give the miconazol?... in their water or their food and how much. My 3 mos old cockerel has been lethargic for 2-3 days. Have to try something. First time chicken mom

Back
Top Bottom