I'd make sure she's got grit (Crushed Granite) free choice as well, so she can process her food well.

The vent looks a bit swollen and she's got a little bloating in the abdomen. The discharge may be from Vent Gleet (Does it smell strongly on yeast infection or more like ammonia/old people urine? sorry no other way to describe it)

She may have more going on like a reproductive disorder, but hard to know. Do you know if she's laid eggs recently or if they were normal?

Right now, I'd stay the course like you are doing. Apply the oil after bathing her to help protect the skin and hopefully after it sits for a while it will help loosen the discharge as well.

Anti-fungals that are commonly used were posted previously along with links. All of these are OTC.👇
Hi Wyorp Rock,

I don't have any crushed granite, but I do have free choice oyster shells.

It smells yeasty, not a urine smell.

She did lay recently. I found one egg that had blood on the shell a few days before I discovered her icky bum. Then after seeing her bum, I found her in the nesting box and waited, she laid another bloody egg. Poor thing, she was so caked, no wonder the blood.

Yes, the oil helped a lot. Yes, I re-read thru the thread and ordered the Acidified Copper Sulfate you linked for me. Hopefully it gets here quickly and I don't run out of the Nystatin. I seen the other OTC anti-fungals mentioned in the thread so I'll get one of them if need be.

Thank you again ever so much.

Wanted to update y'all...

We had the cold snap coming and since the chicken was staying over night in the 'spa', I thought it best to stop the external treatment until I could get something to treat her internally as well and that would give her time to re-acclimate to being out all night in the coop before the cold came.

Since then she's laid at least two non-bloody eggs that I know of for sure. I've also seen her peck other hens so she wasn't disowned by her flock.

Yesterday all were started on the acidified copper sulfate so I'm going to start her spa treatment again today.

Hi Y'All... another update...

Acidified copper sulfate (ACS) has been in the water for over a week now.

I did not soak/treat her for a few days as she was still discharging so I thought I'd let the (ACS) do it's thing and then soak her & treat her externally with the Nystatin again - which I did last night.

I was hopeful -
  • She has new feathers coming in around the top of her vent and the edges of her bum! YaY!
  • But her skin is quite red and angry looking (is that possibly normal for her breed?) along the edges of her bum and her belly, as compared to the pale center part under her vent, where the concrete was caked on and it seems scarred.
  • I was also encouraged that the gunk that was on her bum was less than when we started and it immediately came off in the epsom salt soaking, there was no 'concrete-ness' to it.
  • She also did not discharge at all while I was tending to her. I put coconut oil on her bum and then blow dried her, which takes about 1/2 an hour or so - all the while she had no discharge. YaY!
I kept her in the chicken spa over night, she had a full crop and this morning she had a few solid poops to show for it.

However, she had a thick, creamy, white discharge that went all the way down to her belly. It wiped off easily with a towel wet with warm water. The discharge didn't really smell at all, like it did when I first started this journey.

I cleaned her bum and then applied Nystatin and let her go back to her flock mates.

Should I to stay the course with what I'm doing and hope the ACS does the job? How often should I be soaking her? Everyday, every other day? Should I try some other treatment?

I'll re-read the thread and see what else I can try.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I came across this article: https://bitchinchickens.com/2019/09/05/vent-gleet/

It has a few things to try, one that was mentioned here about giving Micronazole orally.
  • Use an over-the-counter antifungal like Micronazole or Clotrimazole (sold under brand names like Monistat or Canesten): apply cream externally to the vent area, an almond-sized amount internally using an applicator and give tablets orally (cut each one into thirds and give one piece per day for six days). If you can’t find tablets you can give a pea-sized amount of cream orally. Once daily for 5 days.
  • Apply an iodine-based antiseptic (Betadine) to the vent.
  • In more severe cases, insert 3 millilitres of warmed citric acid or saline-solution into the vent twice daily and massage to help move poop out of the proctodeum. Repeat for 3-4 days.
I'm not sure how to give it orally correctly and the vent flush, well that is a whole new level of uncertainty.

I have given Miconazole and Clotrimazole orally to treat Sour Crop. Acidified Copper Sulfate could also be used.
Hi Wyorp Rock,

I went and got some Miconazole, both the suppositories and the cream. Can I ask for some clear instructions on getting the suppository pieces into the the chicken? Do I need to place them down the right side of her mouth to insure it gets into the crop, or simply get it into her beak and make sure she swallows it?

Should I cut the suppository into third's 1x day or sixth's 2x day?

Anything else you can share is wonderful.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
The dose is not precise. It can vary according to how severe the crop is. Use one-third to one-half of the suppository or half inch to one inch of the cream. All you need to do is pry open the beak and get it into the mouth, then close the beak ans she will swallow. Be sure you do it twice a day. That's more important than how much each dose is.

The dose is not precise. It can vary according to how severe the crop is. Use one-third to one-half of the suppository or half inch to one inch of the cream. All you need to do is pry open the beak and get it into the mouth, then close the beak ans she will swallow. Be sure you do it twice a day. That's more important than how much each dose is.
Thanks so much!

For how many days? Until the discharge stops?

Back
Top Bottom