1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

glueing an eggshell?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Carole AM, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Carole AM

Carole AM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    I thought I read some place where a cracked egg can be repaired by sealing it with glue. I received some eggs in the mail (nobody from here), and one of the shells is slightly cracked- a fine line. I don't think it pierced the membrane. Should I try to save it?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yeah, sure, Carole. Ditzzy did it with Gorilla Glue. You can find that at Home Depot, I think. Try it!

3. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Dec 26, 2006
    California - SF East Bay
    Hmm... never done this, but I wouldn't use Gorilla Glue because of how it expands (at least 10 times in size). I'd probably use superglue... that's what my mom uses on her nails... hey, maybe even nail polish?

I wonder about toxicity, but I guess anything that is glue will have some type of chemicals.

4. Carole AM

Carole AM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    Well... I didn't have gorilla glue so I used some Tacky glue, used for crafts. It seals clear, and I know kids use it too. It DOES say "nontoxic" on the bottle. I'll give it a try. Thanks. [​IMG]

5. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Melted canning wax is the recommended way to fix a cracked shell. It seals completely, does not interact with the high humidity. No chemicals to leach into the egg.

6. Penny Hen

Penny Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2013
    Goodlettsville, TN
    Excellent the candle wax was what I was going to ask about and walah! you had already answered it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by