GLW Cockerel or Pullet?

Had such a hard time sexing the Wyandottes. What should I be looking for at this stage for a male? Hoping to have at least 1 roo in the 11 birds I’m raising.
Let me babysit them for a week and at least half of them will turn into males😂😂😂

(in May I had 10 chicks hatch and 9 were males.
Also in May my order for a dozen female chicks arrived. They sent 13 and 7 turned out to be males.. Last year I was given 19 chicks and 14 were male).

Let me babysit them for a week and at least half of them will turn into males😂😂😂

Also in May my order for a dozen female chicks arrived. They sent 13 and 7 turned out to be males.. Last year I was given 19 chicks and 14 were male).
Mercy! Is your freezer full of chicken meat?

Mercy! Is your freezer full of chicken meat?
No, my back yard is full of roosters.🤣🤣

There was maybe 4 or 5 more on those steps but when it occurred to me that they all look like they had gathered for a photo shoot, and pulled out my phone, some decided to be camera shy and walked away from there.

Attachments

• IMG_20231126_163820.jpg
    IMG_20231126_163820.jpg
    720.5 KB · Views: 13
No, my back yard is full of roosters.🤣🤣

There was maybe 4 or 5 more on those steps but when it occurred to me that they all look like they had gathered for a photo shoot, and pulled out my phone, some decided to be camera shy and walked away from there.
They do make a pretty picture!

I was the opposite I kept hatching females lol so if you want females always hope you hatch males then they will be all females lol

Had such a hard time sexing the Wyandottes. What should I be looking for at this stage for a male? Hoping to have at least 1 roo in the 11 birds I’m raising.
Maybe an unpopular opinion, but mature roosters that you already know are good boys are (to me) a much better bet than raising your own and hoping for the best. You may be better off!

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but mature roosters that you already know are good boys are (to me) a much better bet than raising your own and hoping for the best. You may be better off!
Just an observation from my short experience, but it seems that roosters raised with adult chickens are better behaved than when the chicks are raised alone.
My first chickens were last year and I got them as week old chicks. The boys went through a stage where they were absolutely horribly behaved within the group. Not really fighting but just sniping at each other at opportune moments. I think it took them a year to grow out of it.
Group from this spring had their own coop but in the same backyard where a rooster (most friendly one from last year's group) and 3 hens lived.
The coops are on the opposite sides of the backyard and both groups have full access after the chicks were old enough to fly over 4 foot fence.
They were staying mostly separate from each other, although the adults did go into the young ones area and eat the food. I noticed on many occasions the alpha hen being dominant with the young ones.
So far, the young roosters are behaving pretty good with each other. They may chase each other on occasion but nothing like the original chicks.
Whenever they try to chase and mount one of the adult hens, Peter (adult rooster), puts the offender in his place. He's a big boy and all it takes is for him to run into the younger rooster, and the young one runs off.

Back
Top Bottom