GLW egg color??

Fancypants1

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 2, 2014
Central Massachusetts
Here is a picture of my GLW first egg. The GLW is on the left, Buff Orpington middle and Polish on the right. I didn’t think the GLW eggs were so dark. Everything I am reading is saying they lay pale or light brown eggs. Is this unusual?

You can have a great deal of variation of egg color between individual birds of the same breed. Therefore, even in a flock of only one breed you can have a range of browns.

I can't complain at all - it's a beautiful color - just shocked to see such a dark brown. I know it's her egg since she is in isolation in the garage until it gets warmer and I can introduce her to the rest of the girls outside.

Also, keep in mind that first eggs ("pullet eggs") are small. Over the next few months, her eggs will get larger. That usually means the same amount of pigment will be spread over a larger surface area, resulting in a lighter-colored egg than the pullet eggs you're getting now. Hope that makes sense!

Last edited:
Yes, they'll get bigger over the next few months and then be relatively consistent in size. However, each year, egg size tends to increase (after each year's fall/winter molt). Older hens give fewer, but bigger eggs.

Enjoy the omelets!

Back
Top Bottom