GM Foods and what they are doing to us...

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is very real and very scarey. At the same time, I don't know if Monsanto could totally take over because of the ever growing demand for organic foods. We'll just keep hoping for the earth's and populations sake anyways!
smile.png

Thanks for sharing the article.

Yes, Gumpsgirl, we can hope. The latest from CCOF is that the demand for organics is only 1/2 of 1 %.

When you see it in the store, it feels like more. I wish it was.

But, I'm a big believer in doing things one person at a time, and it making a difference. So, we need to just carry on, and know it's helping!
smile.png

To anyone who's buying organic/heritage seeds, another excellent place is, Bountiful Gardens. You can find them on the web, then request a catalog, if you like.
smile.png

Another place I buy seeds from is Johnny's Seeds. I've always had good luck with them. And they always have a great selection of organic seeds an heirloom seeds. As for buying organic products/foodstuffs at the grocery store, don't believe all the claims made. There is a webpage, I believe its called cornucopia something, where you can find out just how "organic" different brands are. You'll be surprised at some of them.

Last edited:
Quote:
If you had seen the video that dlhunicorn had posted you'ld know that Monsanto knowingly mis-marketed Round - Up for YEARS as an "environmentally freindly" "organic" product and its not.

I forget if it was that video or a different one (I watch alot of documentaries) in which most of the time you get a revolving door going on. As in one day/year Mr. X is working for Monsanto and the next day/year Mr.X is working @ the FDA, then back to Monsanto - no conflict of interest here - right?

Edit for spelling, I do know back has a "c" in it

Last edited:
Quote:
If you had seen the video that dlhunicorn had posted you'ld know that Monsanto knowingly mis-marketed Round - Up for YEARS as an "environmentally freindly" "organic" product and its not.

I forget if it was that video or a different one (I watch alot of documentaries) in which most of the time you get a revolving door going on. As in one day/year Mr. X is working for Monsanto and the next day/year Mr.X is working @ the FDA, then bak to Monsanto - no conflict of interest here - right?

I actually did see that video and was shocked! How could anyone pass off a chemical for organic and people be okay with it??? I will answer that. MONEY! I'm sure this all trickles right on down to the government level. Meanwhile, it's the citizens that suffer. Need I say more?!?!

"The Future of Food" is a great documentary on this subject. Life should absolutely not be allowed to be patented! It's horrible what is happening with this especially with the terminator gene which can infect your non GMO plants. There are preventative measures to take with especially volatile crops like corn. You can cover the tassels to prevent cross pollination and actually pollinate them yourself. Extra work, but try planting your infected corn when the endosperm is bred out of it and you'll wish you'd done it or at least saved some heirloom seeds.

If I spent billions on creating a seed that could be used along with weed killer then I think I would be just as protective of it. If they turned around and just let people replant from the first crop then they lose the next sale and the one after that and after that. You are not only paying for seed when you buy that bag of seed but the technology. I am not saying I agree with all their practices but I do understand them protecting their technology aka investment. You cannot just enjoy someone else's hard work and huge expense for nothing. But then again I love round-up and touch down etc.
smile.png
When somebody comes up with a good alternative to all these products that is green friendly and does not break the bank I will jump on that. To meet the food needs though we need the chemicals at this point. I would also love to feed my family all organic but quite frankly cannot afford it. We just do the best we can.

Quote:
You should also check out Native Seeds, all theirs are native american varieties. I had almost their entire catalog in my seed collection until the mice got into my boxes this winter.
sad.png

Also Rare Seeds is great, I love going to the festivals in the summer and they have all heirloom varieties!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom