• Total voters
Pics

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Since I started feeding my dogs raw, I've had Dogs Naturally send emails to my inbox in oder to access their dog food recipes. Because of this, this article came into my inbox the other day, and I was very fascinated in reading it. Not for my dogs since they're eating raw, but because of soy in chicken feed.
It was a very interesting read, and talked a lot about pesticides used to dry soy and control weeds, and how they impact the crop afterward.
It talks about how soy that is sprayed with Roundup, which is used for weed control, contains Glyphosate, the active ingredient in RoundUp, which is a toxin along with being an antibiotic. I believe I read in the article that your dog can end up consuming the toxin when eating GMO soy in dog food, causing them to consume the antibiotic. Could this be the same for our chickens? It also talks about the downsides of soy in general, such as the large amounts of 'anti nutrients' soy contains which can cause gastric distress, soy interfering with thyroid glands, and even how soybean consumption has caused seizures in dogs and cats.
I have to say it was a very interesting read, and I wanted to see other's opinions on this subject. I know I was intrigued.
Another article I found also talks about how soy contains high amounts of physic acid, which animals such as chickens can't digest because they don't produce the correct enzymes to break up the nutrients.
I haven't checked to see if the above source is reliable, but I do trust the information on the Dogs Naturally website. The author also has a TV series, is an award winning blogger, and magazine writer.
This article was written by a professional in animal nutrition and health- https://www.thepoultrysite.com/arti...-affect-the-growth-and-gut-health-of-chickens

This then leads me to the same idea with corn. Field corn is one of the most genetically modified, and heavily sprayed crops in the US. Its almost throughly sprayed with pesticides, and even though pesticides are considered safe, it leads us down the same road I was talking about with soy. I couldn't find any research on the impacts of GMO corn for chickens, but I did find this article that talks about GMO corn for humans. The last paragraph is very intriguing. Could GMO corn have the same affect on our birds as this article claims it has on humans? I'm assuming so.
Very interested to see what responses I get. I like doing research on things like this, and would love to see what everyone else's opinion is on the topic. Thanks for stopping by and reading my post! I'm very interested in your opinions, or personal research.

Scum of the Earth, IMO. Very harmful.
This is my thought as well. After reading all of these articles, I can only imagine that it at the very least posses as a risk that our poultry will be consuming these toxins.
Thanks for you opinion. I'm interested to see what others think as well.

This also leads me to an additional question. Does Organic Non-GMO feed actually not contain those harmful toxins? I know Organic doesn't mean that every ingredient has to be Organic. But I believe the majority, something close to 95% has to be? But that still does't mean that all of the corn/soy is GMO free.
In a nut shell, if I'm concerned, should I be looking into a feed without corn or soy? I'm already feeding soy free, but what about corn? Is corn free feed even a thing?
Interested in others opinions. :D

Last edited:
I was under the impression that organic cannot have anything GMO in it.

ETA- if this is so than organic w corn & soy added would be safe for animals.
You're right, any certified Organic product cannot contain GMO.
But I believe what I read once was that unless the product is labeled 100% Organic, then only 95% of the ingredients need to be Organic. So I guess that means that the remaining 5% might be GMO?
I know that manufacturers like to cut corners when possible, since they want to spend as little money as possible.
Heres a paragraph I copy and pasted from Google-

"Products Labeled as “100% Organic” or “Organic”
Products labeled “organic” must contain at least 95% organically produced ingredients(excluding water and salt). Any remaining ingredients must consist of non-agricultural substances that appear on the NOP National List of Allowed and Prohibited Substances."

Another pharaghraph from another article-

"Just because something is labeled "organic" does not mean that no pesticides or herbicides were used. It simply means that the ones applied met the USDA's production standards for the term. ... Anything bearing the USDA Organic Seal is automatically non-GMO."

Back
Top Bottom