• I'm interested in the discussion of both soy and corn

Votes: 21 38.9%
  • I don't know yet, interested to see what others say

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Other (Explain in a post below)

Votes: 3 5.6%

• Total voters
Pics
I like Joel Stalatin, anyone who can make a farm work without pesticides and synthetic fertilizers is making progress forward 🤟
I like Salatin too. Having said that, consider the resources he uses for his level of production. If we took that world-wide (ignoring, for just a moment, how little land is suited for his production methods), what population could we support???

and let's not forget the first world transportation and manufacturing needed to provide a number of his inputs. His little window on the elephant in the room looks really good - the whole picture isn't so attractive.

I like Salatin too. Having said that, consider the resources he uses for his level of production. If we took that world-wide (ignoring, for just a moment, how little land is suited for his production methods), what population could we support???

and let's not forget the first world transportation and manufacturing needed to provide a number of his inputs. His little window on the elephant in the room looks really good - the whole picture isn't so attractive.
I agree

The first link you provide triggers security warning from my browser, so I didn't read it. But I did read the 2nd ine, and Claims like this one cause me to not take it seriously:
GMO grains have yet to pass muster on scientific scrutiny.
While there is always more to learn, as there is with any subject, the effects of GMO foods have been studied extensively for decades and they have been found to be safe. They even confer some significant benefits in terms of environmental impact (reduced pesticide usage, less land required to grow a given amount of food, etc.)

Last edited:
GMO is garbage, anything Gmo is garbage...
I'd ask what the basis is for that absurdly broad, sweeping generalization, but given your past assertions that Avian Influenza is "another scam played on the ignorant masses" and that "Flus and viruses are just the bodies natural detoxing process" I wouldn't be able to take any answer you gave seriously.

@Weeg
Organic is a marketing term. Are you aware that hydroponic plants cannot be labeled organic even if they meet the legal requirements of trace amounts of pesticides? It's because this is a marketing term and often does not have a lot to do with anything else. GMO has been around since man started selective breeding. There is nothing inherently dangerous about GMO foods. Nothing. Now treat them or the seeds with pesticides that also impact animals or with neonicotinoids that kills bees and other pollinators and that is totally different. It is also true that farmers feed animals food that is cheap and/or more available but may not be best for the animial (like soy and corn) but again this has nothing to do with GMO. You are conflating your arguments. Also, the literature on glyphosate does not support the WHO recommendations or the court cases. Glyphosate is also responsible for reducing hunger in developing countries. Our affluent society has a ton of privilege built up around that and the whole organic food movement.
Thank you for correcting me. In my initial post, I mistakenly used GMO when was mostly concerned about the pesticides that are often sprayed on GMO, and non-Organic crops. I was initially concerned about spraying of corn and soy, (with RoudUp and other pesticides) and how that affects our chickens that are eating it. I didn't use the correct terms in my argument, and I think it created some confusion. That was my fault. :p
Thank you for correcting me.

I tend to agree, though it is *at times* better than the alternatives. Its why we keep (re)making governments.

and Leslie, the same FDA responsible for protecting us from dangerous products (with, admittedly, some successes) is the same FDA which prevents us from using potentially beneficial products - one of the reasons the US lags behind other developed nations in at-home testing for the current pandemic, why we were slow to sequence when a researcher already studying virii on the Pacific Coast first noticed, and why we had to suspend a large number of FDA regulations to get the vaccines currently in use in the first place, rather than continuing to wait for most of the next decade, in the regular course of events.

Its neither an untarnished good, nor an unmitigated bad. Educated, intelligent, responsible people can engage in reasonable debate about where the line should be drawn.
Nothing is every completely perfect. You have to a cost/benefit analysis. After assessing, having the FDA is far better than not having it. Far better. We actually did not suspend anything for the virus, a risk-based approach, which is what the agency uses anyway, was used. The concerns on testing are valid. We definitely need more tests distributed widely, but this pandemic showcases more about how good the biomed process including the FDA rather than the flaws. Of course it can be improved, but if we did not have the bizarre culture war around the vaccines this pandemic would be largly under control and our main concern would be getting vaccines to underserved countries to stop variants.

genetically modified organism: an organism or microorganism whose genetic material has been altered by means of genetic engineering.
Would you care to explain your statement?
We have been altering the genetics via breeding since the first hunter-gathers decided to plant crops. Your broccoli does not look anything like it did before humans decided to modify the genetics. Same for your chickens and cows and everything.

Thank you for correcting me. In my initial post, I mistakenly used GMO when was mostly concerned about the pesticides that are often sprayed on GMO, and non-Organic crops. I was initially concerned about spraying of corn and soy, (with RoudUp and other pesticides) and how that affects our chickens that are eating it. I didn't use the correct terms in my argument, and I think it created some confusion. That was my fault. :p
Thank you for correcting me.
You are welcome. Apologies if I came across as harsh. You should also look into Roundup (glyphosate). Honestly, millions would be dead now due to starvation of this was not available. And I am aware of the WHO position and the recent court judgements but they are not backed up by the literature. It is far to easy to up dosages and apply these chemicals in ways they are not designed to be used for and stack the evidence. Some of that is going on around glyphosate research.

Back
Top Bottom