Gnat infestation - Solution Found

ruth

Life is a Journey
12 Years
Jul 8, 2007
Woodville, MS
The gnats are so bad right now. Not the large, biting, black fly kind (buffalo gnats) but the tiny light colored ones. They are covering the heads and eyes of my animals. The peacocks seem especially prone to them and have started scratching the backs of their necks so much that they are getting bald. The hens and roosters all seem to be staying in the coop but I'm not sure it's any better in there. In fact, I think it's worse. I get swarmed every time I go in there. I have a fan going but just don't know what else to do.

Is there anything that will repel these pesty little gnats? They are literally driving my flock wild. They, and the flies, seem to have ganged up together and there is no rest for anyone.

Last edited:
i don't have experience, but people have been writing about these problems lately, and i have seen mentioned - fabric softener sheets, moth balls, and fly strips (caged or hung really high).

Quote:
Thanks - I hadn't seen any of those "treatments" listed anywhere and the only threads I could find on gnats are about the black biting kind. These we have are so small you can barely see them. Some people call them "noseeums". I'll give those things a try.

I think one of my hens was suffocated yesterday by them.

It is terrible...I thought I read somewhere about apple cider vinegar in the chickens water?

aaaah....what do we do???

I have discovered that if I leave the long flourescent light on in their coop, in the daytime, the gnats flock to the light and seem to be leaving the chickens alone. You should see the light though, it is completely covered with the things and looks like something out of a horror movie. The light is high, near the ceiling, so it draws the gnats up there and away from the chickens who still have the fan on. So far seems to be working.

For those of you looking for solutions to your gnat problems - we found one -

BUG ZAPPER.

Works great. You should see the hill of dead gnats under it. Just plugged one in inside the coop and the little buggers just fly right into it and sudden death.

My chickens thank me.

I just went to change the food and water in my chicken coop and when I opened the door, I got swarmed!! I was beating them away with my hat!

Then I go to the duck house and I had to change the bedding because silly me left the top open and it poured down rain INSIDE their house
barnie.gif
and I got swarmed a second time!

I'm going to see if I can find a natural way to deal with them. UGH!!

Laurie

Quote:
What's unnatural about a bug zapper?
tongue.png

Exactly!!! We don't use any kinds of poisons or insecticides or even fertilizers on our farm so the bug zapper is wonderful and they can eat the roasted gnats, mosquitoes, and moths that fall to the ground.

Back
Top Bottom