Gnat infestation - Solution Found

Years ago, I had gnats on my inside plants. I sprayed a layer of STP oil (I'm sure any kind of thick oil would do) on a large yellow plastic cup and they were attracted to it - the oil kills them quick and you don't have to put it on your soil. Might be worth a try - don't know how it will work outside!

I find houseflies are not attracted to "black"/flourescent lights. For flies, you might try the traps that have nice smelly stuff inside. I think I have heard a little vinegar, wine and sugar in some water brings the flies in.

LOL nothings unnatural about a bug zapper. I work with herbs and things and thought I could possibly use something along that route.

I've used bug zappers for years. Hmm I wonder if we brought ours with us when we moved from NY in November......

Laurie

Thank you everyone for your input here. I’ve been searching for days for some answers about this recent infestation of gnats and was getting quite frustrated. So far this is the only site that acknowledged the type of tiny dirty whitish gnat that has saturated my coop. Yesterday I sprayed a solution of sulphur (with a capful of dish soap) diluted in water around the base of the coop, hen house and posts. Sulphur is relatively safe for chickens and I moved them out to the larger pen first anyaway. This treatment reduced the number as it seemed to kill on contact but I’m still swarmed every time I’m out there. So now I’m going to hang some fly strips and dig out the bug zapper. I’ll keep you posted.

Back
Top Bottom