Gnats are bugging the devil outta my chickens!

MamaHynne

Songster
8 Years
Mar 19, 2011
Green Cove Springs
barnie.gif

So far, they aren't biting, just the kind that like to congregate around the eyes/noses and such. But I want to get rid of them. Any suggestions? I hate seeing my babies shaking their heads, scratching their eyes and beaks every few seconds. It has to be so annoying. I'd appreciate any advice anyone can give. Thanks in advance.

A little something else I found that may be of use also:

Insect Repellent

Here is an easy repellent to make that has a shelf life of around six months. Label jars “mosquito,” “tick,” etc. for quick identification.
10 to 25 drops essential oil
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (olive oil is fine)
1 tablespoon aloe vera gel (optional)
Combine the ingredients in a glass jar. Shake to blend. Dab a few drops on your skin or clothing.
Here are some suggestions for your choice of essential oils:

Bug Repellent Essential Oils
Caution: Pregnant women should consult with their doctors before using.

Ticks First Choice: Rose Geranium. Other: Palmerosa, bay, eucalyptus, European pennyroyal lavender, tickweed (American pennyroyal)
Mosquitoes: Pennyroyal, lemon balm (citronella), thyme, lavender
Blackflies: Sassafras, lavender, eucalyptus, pennyroyal, cedar, lemon balm (citronella), peppermint
Head Lice: Tea tree, rosemary, lavender, eucalyptus, rose geranium
Fleas: Orange oil
A note about wasps and yellow jackets: Don’t wear perfume, hair spray, or scented deodorant. Avoid wearing bright colored clothing

I wonder if lavender and red thyme essential oil will work for them. I use both oils to repel mosquitoes from us, indoors and outdoors. I place a few drops on cotton balls and place them on head boards or night stands. If you are sensitive to oils you may want to use a carrier oil to blend with the EO. EO's have so many uses, you just have to be careful because they are so concentrated.

You can grow Thai lemongrass and even rub it on your skin; or use the essential oil. The scents of eucalyptus, mint and clove are also distasteful to flying pets. To use oils in your yard, you can tie the dried herbs and spices in sachets and hang them wherever insects are a problem. Alternately, you can place a few drops of eucalyptus, mint or clove oil on an absorbent cloth and leave these cloths around your yard.

I will incorporate all of the above in one way or another for our peeps when they are transferred to the great outdoors.
70619_100_1771.jpg

We're having problems with those pesky gnats too. They drive us crazy trying to work outdoors. My orph roo had several of them on his comb. I don't know if they where biting. He didn't act like they where but I read yesterday that they can get in the nostrals and soffocate a chicken. My eyes are sore from them. A couple of years ago they where so bad they where killing livestock and wild animals like deer and coyotes etc. I thought about hanging those fly strips in and around the coops and pens to try to catch some of them but I would prefer to keep them away all together.

We have a huge bug problem here and we've recently started using Equisect Fly Repellant from the feed store. It's a natural repellant for horses but have found it works great on all the animals and their areas for mosquitos, gnats, deer flies, lice, ticks, fleas, etc AND IT WORKS ON US! It smells good without the harmful chemicals found in Bens or Off.

I bought a bunch of vanilla fresheners about a week or so ago and hung them in my open/air raised coops. I don't know if I'm imagining this or not but I see a big difference. I really don't see any more mosquitoes or gnats in the coops. I think it's working.

Here is a pic of where I placed the vanilla fresheners. You can see one of the fresheners. The other freshener is attached (flat) above the waterer.
6612_coop_with_fresheners.jpg

Last edited:
Wow!! I really appreciate everyone's help regarding this matter. So I'm gonna try a few things separately, chart my progress and report back. Thanks so much!

Think I'm gonna start with the air fresheners first, just 'cause it's easy
smile.png

Quote:
I will be waiting to read your progress report. I bought a 6 pack of vanilla air fresheners at Wal mart for $3.00. Really cheap. I hope everything works out.

Back
Top Bottom