gnats!!!

Gnats hate shade, so if you can permit your chickens to access the coop all day it will help. Also, if you can get 'no-pest strips' containing dichlorovos to hang in the coop (out of reach or encased and not over water/feed) you will kill any gnats that get inside. Gnats can debilitate and kill birds through blood loss, so you're wise to get started on a pan immediately!
cool.png

Click to enlarge-

Are you talking about black flies (around here dubbed 'gnats')? Very small, some varieties bite, others just torment by hovering....

In our neck of the woods a biological control was employed by the state when they got completely out of control (epidemic proportions such that people stayed indoors or wore mosquito netting outdoors...).

A repellent that works brilliantly is burning "cattails" but of course around birds one must watch to be sure a fire doesn't get started.
JJ

The gnats aren't much of a problem for my chicks.. In fact, they love the constant supply of protein they supply as the chicks are snatching them right out of the air.. lol.. I thought they had lost their minds until i actually saw what they were going after... Now it's just funny to watch....

Goddess:jumpy

Back
Top Bottom