Gnats

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by heby, Mar 21, 2013.

1. heby

heby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2013
    Georgia
    I guessing that gnats are considered "pests" since they bug us to death here in GA. They have started to get bad and I was wondering what I could possibly do to help my chickens out with them. The gnats flog my darker chickens worse. I was hoping someone knew something I could do to their pen or put on them to help out with it. The gnats that I see so far are actually a little bigger than they usually are during the summer. They just fly around the chickens heads and drive them crazy especially when they are trying to lay or stand still. I got started with chickens late last year so this was my first winter and spring with them. Thanks for your input.

2. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Vanilla work wonders. Even cheap vanilla flavoring diluted in water. Put it in a spray bottle and mist your chickens with it.
    We even used B&BW vanilla body spray to keep them off of us last summer.

3. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

If you google "buffalo gnat" or search here for them you will learn a lot about them. They do kill chickens and some people are highly allergic to them.

4. heby

heby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2013
    Georgia
    I don't think they are buffalo gnats. We usually have what they call sand gnats or dog gnats. Thank you for the advice. I will be heading to store to buy a new spray bottle and more vanilla. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by