Go to your coop chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by scavanagh, Jul 11, 2011.

1. scavanagh

scavanagh Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    Central Ma
    I have 13 chicks ranging in age from 3 weeks to 9 weeks. We were slow to build the coop so they actually just went to their coop last week. They prefer to stay in the run and don't want anything to do with being in the coop. Do you think it's because they were housed inside my house for so long? I know it can be normal for chicks to need some help getting use to the coop in the beginning but I wasn't sure the best way to go about it. Should I keep rounding them up every night and putting them in the coop or just let them figure it out themselves?

2. chickenbythesea

chickenbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    ours have been in our coop since the start and they come out of their coop as soon as the door opens... as for going in at night.... we're in the same situation as you. I've had a few go in on their own but when they see the other chicks running from us as we try and round them up, they all come back out on us. Thankfully the kids help and my son is quite the chick catcher... my daughter makes sure they don't come back out and I make sure none get stepped on. I think you just have to keep rounding them up until they get the hang of it. I have heard people say to turn a light on in the coop and that should help them want to come in. For me, this didn't make a difference but hey, ya never know. If anything we'll be really good a catching chickens! [​IMG]

3. eggcamefirst

eggcamefirst Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2010
    Piedmont Triad, NC
    Took mine 3 nights to get it at 6 weeks. I opened the coop up 1 hr before dark. If they weren't inside by dark I could easily catch them out in the run and put them in since they were either asleep or in a stupor. Tonight was the first night they went to bed alone, no lights no treats!

4. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    A light does help. Just go to the dollar store and buy a three pack of little lights that stick up (made to go under a cabinent top). Just go out before dark and push the little light on. Go out after dark and close the door....they will go in to the light.

Our littlest once were in last night after four nights......with three roosting on the board in the opening to the pop door. I just scooted them off and into the coop and closed the door.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by