Goat getting ready to kid? Help?

This x 1000!!!!!
Same with wormers, pretty soon we're not going to have any wormers or antibiotics that actually work because we've made them resistant.

OP, if this were me, I wouldn't have given an antibiotic to begin with. If all you have to do is assist a breech birth, the natural cleaning out of the doe is going to clean out most anything that you introduced... especially if you washed up before hand. A quick iodine flush does the trick in most cases, and eliminates the need for a round of antibiotics. :)

Okay. Thank you.
I have been reading up as much as I can, and of course there's always variations of information out there. One of the things I don't have in my kit is Uterine Bolus.
So if one does have to assist, as long as you are clean, it should be fine?

Also thanks you guys for posting info that seems obvious- michellemire may know better, and I have been reading up, but who knows who else may read these threads. More info is better always than assuming I say.

A quick iodine flush does the trick in most cases, and eliminates the need for a round of antibiotics. :)
Question- if I have idodine 10% solution, do I need to dilute that to make a flush?
I also have Betadine. Is one preferable over the other?

Thanks!

!!!! You guys! I am sitting with her and she is in labor now! I'm so excited! And a little nervous.
Her ligaments are gone and her sides are sunken just like in the info. She is panting and grunting a bit and doing all the things I read about.
Her udder isn't shiny and tight but it is pendulously large.
I've been distracted by my other adult doe having health issues. I have been worried about worms and am waiting to get results back on what kind... I really want to ensure everyone is safe and healthy.
If anyone has any tips, info, links about keeping kids and mom please share.
I moved her to a kidding area that I made in my house to make certain it is clean and brought in new fresh chopped straw bedding.
Mom has had an initial worming and 10 day follow up so far with Ivomec given orally.
Photos and hopefully good news to follow soon!

I am sooooo excited for you! Just monitor her! If you want, periodically take a couple clean fingers and just see what you feel inside. It will help you learn, and make sure you have a nose and two feet coming.

Just wanted to let you know also, that you are doing such a great job. These girls are lucky to have someone who cares so much and is willing to learn what they need. Good job!

Oh, and yes, pics!!!

Thank you so much. I have to admit, I'm really nervous. It snowed a lot here, so I'm glad I set her up here warm and dry, but I'm also aware that no way can I get help up here if I need it. My road and long hill of a driveway are impassable.
So far she has been lying down and breathing like something is going on, then she gets up. We have gone through some rounds of her being loud in between that. I think she is talking to the others outside.
She also gets loud if I leave her sight.
So I'm pretty much camped out with her and my phone and a book.
Do you guys think they get scared their first time?

It all sounds normal. Goats like their buddies. :)
I think more than anything, first freshners get confused. This is all new and strange!

Thank you. Yeah poor thing she does seem confused like what is happening to me?
And she's pretty loud about it! LOL
I think we are getting serious here now!
I did put a glove on and lube and checked- I did not feel a cervix, things seemed very open. I also did not feel a bubble or any baby goat parts.
Now she is lying down a lot more and has a huge streaming gob of clear goo.
I think she may even be starting to push!
She is arching her head back and straining some.
I've got all the kidding supplies literally at arms reach.

Back
Top Bottom