Goat getting ready to kid? Help?

Glad he is doing better. Funny thing, I do the exact same thing with the dumor pellets! I mix the two kinds so what they eat is 50% sweet 50% normal. The twits won't eat the non sweet kind alone, but am not fond of sweet feeds. So it is a compromise to get them to eat. I actually tried putting them on the non sweet kind for several weeks once, and nobody touched their food the entire time.

Don't you love it when people say, oh but goats eat anything. Obviously they have never owned a goat! Lol

Have you named them???? If so please say!!
big_smile.png

Don't you love it when people say, oh but goats eat anything. Obviously they have never owned a goat! Lol

Right?! My girls are picky about certain things I am learning. They must have a very discerning palate because they love organic banana, but will not eat the non organic kind. Somehow they know.

General Update:
Okay things are going better with the kids. The boy is up and acting like a goat! I am not hearing him cry and he is more like his sister now- less falling over and more energy in between naps. Hooray!
He is taking the bottle with enthusiasm, and guzzles a bit then stops on his own and seems to wait and see how that feels. Then he has a bit more, and will stop on his own before he has a whole lot. So far he seems to be able to regulate his intake on his own. I probably need to start tracking the amount and measuring it for down the road.
The doeling looks like her sides are sunken in a bit, so I have tried to just get a mouthful of bottle milk in her a little bit. I don't think she needs it much since she must be getting at least a little from mom, but I'd like her to be at least familiar with the idea.

That brings me to the less happy news. Mom goat's milk is still M.I.A. Her udder has not swelled and I don't know if it ever will come in.
I'm also concerned with the amount she is (not) eating. She eats her grains with the usual gusto, but she is not eating hay really at all. I've offered alfalfa and she is mostly ignoring it. She is also ignoring her minerals which is a change for her too. Shouldn't she be hungry and eating lots to make milk?
Should I give mom vitamin B to stimulate her appetite?
I fear she may have no future as a dairy goat. Which really ruins my plans. :( so long all the soap and cheese and milk and *sigh*
On the bright side, she is attentive in an affectionate way to her kids, and if she was producing milk I think she would figure out to be an excellent mother now that everything isn't so surprising at first.
I'm not sure what will happen next.
Maybe her milk will come in? Maybe?
The store my husband got the nice whole milk from also sells goat milk that is low temp pasteurized to preserve the enzymes. I guess that's as close to raw as you can legally sell here. The product is reserved in advance which is why he couldn't buy any last night, but it's great to know that is available for the future if needed.

Last edited:
I rescued 2 goats 1 can feed her kids fine n the other 1 never got her milk in I got them breed I never breed them back there just my weather friend when my buck goes with my females and then they go back with my females after my buck done his job I did keep the female babies they had and they produce milk just fine and feed there babies I will b milking them when they weaned there kid

I rescued 2 goats 1 can feed her kids fine n the other 1 never got her milk in I got them breed I never breed them back there just my weather friend when my buck goes with my females and then they go back with my females after my buck done his job I did keep the female babies they had and they produce milk just fine and feed there babies I will b milking them when they weaned there kid

That is really cool you rescued them. I love that. I have worked with animals off and on all my life. Out of high school, I was a veterinary assistant in an exotic animal clinic. My pets over the years have been rescues- many abandoned reptiles actually. Then I spent 5 years managing a pet hotel and ended up fostering and finding homes for many dogs who were abandoned. Sometimes it is really hard work, but I admire people who are willing to do it.

I'm not sure I read all of your post correctly. Did you say that you decided to not breed the doe who didn't make milk again?

I realize that is a choice I am going to have to consider. Do you think that if my girl here doesn't produce this time, that she just can't?
Or is it possible that given more time with proper care and food she may do better in a year?

Another Update *and photos!*

That whole cow milk has been wonderful. It's very think and has solid bits to it before being warmed. I am going to try and get some of that goat milk as soon as possible though.
Baby boy has really taken to the bottle. I am still seeing him try to suckle from mom too. But since I started supplementing with some bottle feeding, he has stopped crying completely. I am sure he feels much better. He certainly looks it.

I don't know how well you can see, but in this photo momma goat is standing in the background. See her teats? See any udder? :/

But look how happy and adorable he is now. It's weird how not long ago I was so worried for him.

I have been trying to get just a little to the doeling too when I feed the boy. Just in case. Before she would swallow a mouthful, but didn't like it or want more. This time though she guzzled the bottle milk like a greedy starving beast! I was surprised and feel bad because maybe she isn't getting much from mom after all... but also grateful that she took food as needed.

He is so tiny!

A good friend came by and gifted us with hand knitted sweaters! She followed a pattern found online, but these are still big on my tiny kids. Still very cute though.

I hope you guys enjoy the photos. I think the boy is especially photogenic. :)

Oh My Goodness He IS tiny :3 I like the sweaters!! Again have you named them or are you going to get rid of them? I hope not cuz re cute.
goodpost.gif

Oh My Goodness He IS tiny :3 I like the sweaters!! Again have you named them or are you going to get rid of them? I hope not cuz re cute.
goodpost.gif

I have not named them yet. The girl we will keep for sure. The boy I am not sure about. It's hard to keep a buck since they have to have a separate house and area. I do not currently own a buck, and he could maybe be bred with my other two girls when he grows up, but his lineage is unknown... so I am not sure it would be the best thing to breed him...
However he is going to be impossible not to love :) I may see about fixing him to keep as a wether so he can be a companion to the girls and eventually a pal for a buck if I ever get one that is dairy registered for breeding. If not, he will have to be sold to the best home I can find for him.

Back
Top Bottom