Goat proof feeder? They're pigs.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Badhbh, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Badhbh

Badhbh Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Seriously. The chicken food isn't good for the goats, but they will fight me to exhaustion to get it. I currently have ALL the food locked up in a dog crate, and they somehow got the bag of scratch open and ate every bit THROUGH THE BARS. Magic! They got the crate open today too! I"m going to have to put a caribiner on it. Plus, I can't feed the chickens when they're out in the yard, because they'll run off the chickens and eat the food. [​IMG]
    Obviously i'm going to have to separate them into their own area (I have 1/4 acre fenced off for all the animals and tehy live communally), but until then, does anyone have any ideas for a goat proof feader so I don't have to wait until night to feed the chickens? :thun

2. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    No such thing [​IMG]

3. Badhbh

Badhbh Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for bursting that bubble eh? lol

4. doubleostud

doubleostud Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    Besides for completely seperating the goats and chickens about the only other thing you could do is put your feeder up on a platform thats maybe 5 feet up or so with a few perches or maybe a very slim ramp that would allow the chickens to either fly up or walk up the ramp and not allow the goats. I just keep mine seperated where the goats cant get to the food it seems easier for me.

5. kycowgirlchick

kycowgirlchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Unless to could make a square of gates or something the chickens can go under that the goats cant. I know that is almost impossible. They are sooo limber. And if they think you have food LOOK OUT!
    [​IMG]

6. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Welcome to my world!

My girls are smart though, when Im pushing one out of the way the other will slip past me and start eating it behind my back. When I turn to move her the other slips in around me and starts to eat while Im busy with the other. They are very smart, and Im not. [​IMG]

7. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    The platform idea will work. I have to feed my barn cats on top of a tall rabbit hutch to keep the goats out of the cat food.

8. ametauss

ametauss Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Shepherdsville, KY
    Whatever you do, do not put in a ramp... as small as it may seem, a goat has wonderful footing and will find a way to climb it....

I find that if I feed the goats then while they're eating throw out the chicken food scattered on the ground then that has stopped the issue somewhat....

As soon as DH finishes the coop, then the food feeder will be in the coop and hopefully I estimated that the chicken door is small enough to keep the goats out.....

Good luck...

[​IMG]

9. mzrea

mzrea Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Vermont
    My dog eats the chicken food!

10. showme31

showme31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Moscow Mills MO
    Here's what I did in the barn at my old place. I bought a cattle panel and cut in half to give me 2 8' pieces. I put them together in the corner of the barn to make a box. I put the feeders in the back to middle of the 8' box, the chickens could get thru the squares but those pesky goats couldn't. At that time I had leghorns and RIR's.

My current goats have no probs getting on top of their house that is almost 5' tall. If a goat wants something bad enough you really have to work hard to outsmart them.

Good luck, smiles
    Jul

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by