1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Goat Proof Goose Feeder?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by MamacatPatch, Nov 15, 2011.

1. MamacatPatch

MamacatPatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2007
    I have an unusual situation. We have a large fenced area where we keep our three Boer goats, seven ducks and six weeder geese. We have two sheds as well and a covered outside area. One of the sheds has a small feeder troth as well as a grate for feeding them hay.

The problem is, as the weather permits, I toss the sweet feed, the grain, the oats and the meatbird feed on the sand/ground outside so everyone can eat. BUT the goats bully everyone else and fill their bellies with the duck/goose food before they go eat their own food UNLESS I stand there with the water hose. They have learned if I'm holding the hose I'll spray them to keep them away until the ducks/geese get their food first. But everything changes in winter when there is ice/snow/bitter cold outside. No hoses and I can't just toss the food in the snow.

Which finally brings me to my question. I'm trying to come up with a sturdy goat proof, water proof, critter proof container that I can open and close easily and then lock down so I can put the duck/goose feed in it. Probably something with maybe 2-inch round holes that the ducks and geese could stick their heads into to eat but that the goats couldn't reach, at least not easily.

Maybe something made of hard wood or hard plastic that I can attach a latch to the lid or something like that? I'd like to be able to fill it with feed from the OUTSIDE of the fenced area. The less tromping through the ice and snow in my big clunky boots I have to do the better I like it! HA.

Anyone made any contraptions like that? If so, how'd you do it and do you have any pictures? I need to build one fast since Old Man Winter is just around the corner! Any and all ideas appreciated. Meanwhile, I'm going to keep looking for a solution!!

Marci

2. Yetti

Yetti Chillin' With My Peeps

I have seen it done with a chunk of PCV pipe. I recommend using a length(4-5 feet) of 4" so it sticks out through the fence on a 30 to 45 degree angle, and then put a 90* on the end and then a 4" to 2" reducer to extend the corner and keep the opening small enough to prevent the goats eating in it.
    on the bottom side where the lowest part of the curve is drill a small hole 1/8" to 1/4", its for drainage if water should get in and should prevent water freezing the food up. I suggest gluing the pieces with PVC cement and then after you have it secure use a couple chunks of re-rod to prevent the goats moving the bottom around. and don't forget a 4" cap for a cap to keep the weather out of the filler end.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pvc....,cf.osb&fp=26064f89a7d248d9&biw=1920&bih=960

[​IMG]

this pic shows another version using a 45* t fitting and a capped bottom. if you do this style just ad the 2" reducer.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  3. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Great idea for a feeder station which keeps the food accessible and dry [​IMG]

4. hayley3

hayley3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    This was exactly what I was looking for!!!!!!!. I needed some way to feed the goose without the goats eating all her food. This is perfect! My goose abigail will be so happy...she loves hanging with the goats.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @hayley3 how will that keep the goats out?

6. hayley3

hayley3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    You don't have to fill it completely full and you can put a half cap on it so they can't get their mouths in there but the goose beak will fit. That link shows lots of variations. I may have to tinker with it but the basic idea is awesome and gives me something to work with.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]

8. dopadaw

dopadaw New Egg

Mar 29, 2015
    Just saw your questions for Goat Proof Goose Feeder, we have the same problem. Did you ever find a solution? We are looking into floating feeder maybe since the goats do not like water.
    Appreciate your reply.
    Sorry just saw some answers. How does the PVC feeder not fill up with water then clog?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by