Goat/Sheep = Lawnmower: Economical Idea?

Wanted to note, that Goats will eat anything. I have pine trees (small) in my pasture. These trees have been in the field for 5 years and the horses have never bothered them. This weekend, I introduced my goats to the large pasture. The 4 of them gathered around one of my pine trees. 3 of them pushed on the fence while the other ate away. They stripped everything they could reach off of the pine tree. I will be firming up the fence around those pine trees before allowing the goats back in that field. I have a wood pile in this field that will be split and stacked for this coming winter. They love climbing on it and eatting the bark off of the wood.

Edited to add: I love my goats. Just want you to understand, if they want it, they will do all that they can to get it.

Last edited:
Goats prefer browsing for their food - tree leaves, brush etc. They only eat grass if there is nothing else to eat.

Sheep, however, love to graze.

I have harnessed the power of our sheep and they are grazing my yard in week long lots. They are finishing up the backyard and will be moved in a day or two.

mowers4.jpg

mowers3.jpg

We have osage orange trees, which are the single most useless trees ever created. They spring up all over the place and i can't stand them. If anything were to kill them i would make it an honorable member of the family.
lol.png
The only valuable plant-life in my yard are 3 young apple trees. I can tell that we'd need to fence them off. Would a sheep do this kind of damage to my yard? Maybe i should change the title to Sheep=Lawnmower?

Cool, I'm glad some people chimed in on sheep. My neighbors have barbadoes (sp?) and their pasture always looks nice and trimmed. Also that breed you don't have to shear so that is one less thing to deal with. Unless of course you want the wool
smile.png

Nancy

Sheep are excellent grazers too. they eat ALL grass and stuff they do not discriminate. we have a few and it seems like they eat ALL the time! they would be a great addition to put with your goats! they will eat what the goats might not!

We have 10 sheep and they DO NOT discriminate as to what is edible. They keep our pasture picture perfect and do not require supplemental feeding unless they are lambing. We do however offer good quality hay during the winter. Get some, you will love them!! They are precious and not near as obnoxious as goats. IMO

I've had goats and sheep. I'll take the sheep....couldn't keep the goats in. They were always in someone else's yard. I never had trouble with keeping the sheep in. I wish we still had them, but we had to sell them when we couldn't find anyone to take care of them when we went on a very long vacation.

Quote:
If I get a pair of rams for the summer and then send them to "camp", how old will they be when they get mean? My grandmother had her knee caps shattered by a mean old ram about 20 years ago and i don't want to end up confined to a wheel chair in my old age. If we get them nuetered will they be calmer? I have found many different breeds for sale in my area.

Does anyone know about Painted Desert Sheep? They look like goats to me.
hmm.png

ETA: I researched these guys and found they are exactly what i'm looking for. This is from the PDSS Website:

"The Painted Desert Sheep is for you if:
1. *you want to raise meat for your freezer
2. *you don't want to bother with shearing
3. *you want a low maintenance lawnmower
4. *you want large lamb crops for market
5. *you want something different (most important)-The Painted Desert Sheep is aesthetically pleasing to the eye."

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom