Goat/Sheep = Lawnmower: Economical Idea?

Quote:
When we first got our sheep they were a breeze to keep in....We had 1 strand of electric fence....They never ever went over, under, or through it....That is UNTIL the babies came....So then we went with chain link...Well within a week they were going right under it...So then we went with electric and chain link...same thing....Then about amonth later we were using electric, chainliink and barbwire....right under they went....nothing fazed them...Now we have our whole pasture fenced with 'field fence'...It's about 4 feet high and we haven't had any problems with them getting out....EXCEPT for one spot where the splices came apart...Fixed that and just like magic they are staying in again...
I was so proud too that our sheep were staying in with just the one strand of electric that I even bragged about it...lol That taught me...
Now our goats (the nubians) have no desire to go outside the fence lines.....but the pygmys run the yard every single day. They do not stay in for anything...They don't cause problems, they just know they can be outside the fence while everyone else is inside..lol They have been doing this for over a year and have never went any further than around the barn (and along side the fence)....They go back in when they want...I have seen them jump the 5 foot fence that fences them in(when not with the sheep) from a standing jump...lol
Most of the time the goats are with the sheep though and they don't seem to jump that fence (and it's only 4 feet)...lol

But take it from me...don't waste the $$$ on electric, chainlink, or even barbwire with sheep...just got right for the 'field fence'....it'll save you a headache or two...lol

Back
Top Bottom