Goat sitters?

I had worked my Nigi's down to milking once in the morning before I went on vacation. I was close to drying them up and just wasn't willing to go without milk yet. I am fortunate that I have a goatie neighbor that loves to come help out. The best way is to find/advertise for a kid or adult that would like to experience a bit of country. Bring them in to learn how to milk and feed. Its just as important to keep the feeding the same as it is to keep milking hours as close to normal. With just one doe milking (lets pray she is an easy milker with good milking teats--the little teats can be a challange) it doesn't take much time to milk. Its important that the goats know the person that is milking them. They can be fussy with new people. Mine are suckers for treats and will do anything in hopes of getting a grape or banana chip. So have a new person keep treats available.

My hubby is chaffing right now over my inability to leave at the drop of a hat. Kids are due and the young ones need watching. I'm also brooding a bunch of chicks. For years I kept my time free to be available on the rare times he would take time off. Now I have a busy season and he is just going to have to learn. This is my time to finally do the things I've put off. He still doesn't take time off but doesn't like that he can't because *I* have commitments. The so called shoe on the other foot.

Ah, well, that is a whole other conversation.
he.gif
rant.gif

There are people out there willing to do livestock sitting, like me
tongue.png
I recently answered an ad on CL for a lady looking for someone who could watch her 2 goats. Her parents are in poor health so needs someone in case she has an emergency and needs to fly out right away. She had me come to her place for an interview and meet the goats.

If I had to hire someone I would prefer it be someone who already had goats so they know what they're like and how to take care of them. I would also like to be able to go to their place and see how they take care of their animals as well.

I don't take vacations I'm too busy letting every one else have theirs
wink.png
Now all of my friends want me to watch their farms. That's okay, I enjoy the animals.

Quote:
I have the opposite problem. My husband likes to take months off at a time. His schedule is very open. He works Fri-Sun and then when holidays come around he gets many days off so he is constantly wanting to do stuff. I on the other hand would be happy going somewhere every other year because I love being home.

Quote:
Do you happen to know anyone in my area that does this? I'm scared to go the whole CL way because you just never know who you're getting.

Back
Top Bottom