Goat throwing up and feeling ill

Birdsong 82

Free Ranging
6 Years
Aug 17, 2017
Virginia
When I went to feed the crew this morning I noticed RM didn't eat much and went back in the shelter and just stood by herself. Obviously knew something wasn't right and she kept making noises like she was throwing up and swallowing it and then did throw up one time but she's a lot more vocal than usual this morning and doesn't want to be around the others and doesn't really want to be up for too long. I've had them get into plants they shouldn't have and throw up but they've never quite acted like that. I gave her six ML of activated charcoal mixed with water. it's worked every other time but every other time they threw up a lot more but didn't act sick. Now it's just throwing up less but acting sick. So it worries me a bit. Anything else I can do for her

Goats have sensitive digestive systems. So them consuming anything that they are used to can cause problems. Are yours vaccinated for enterotoxemia? Do you feed grains?

Definitely feel her throat when you get home. If it's in her digestive tract that's not good either. If she continues to act off you may want a vet to have a look at her.

Oh if it continues I'm definitely calling the vet. I'm hoping the activated charcoal did the trick them and I'm hoping she just got into something that upset her stomach
I do feed them a half a cup to a cup of grain in the morning. I'm going to feel her neck when I get home for sure my daughter should be home between three and 330 to give me an update and let me know how she's looking and acting

I've never seen a goat throw up personally. I have seen it on Dr. Pol when a goat has choke. Did you feel the esophagus for a lump?
I have had a couple goats over the years throw up. It wasn't choke. They had no trouble eating hay. It happened when they tried to eat their grain at milking time. It was chronic. I never did figure out what the problem was. It did not end well. The problem my goats had does not sound at all like what is going on here. My goats did not act sick but they did steadily lose weight. I couldn't fix it and I eventually ended up culling them. As I said, the problem my goats had does not sound like what is wrong with this one. I think the OP is right and she got into something toxic. A wise old vet once told me that the difference between sheep and goats is that sheep blunder into trouble but goats seek it out. Truer words were never spoken.

Well there I go making a big fuss over small things. She seems so much better tonight. Running to the hay like she's so hungry. Guess the charcoal was enough.
She makes me crazy sometimes because she had a rough start and always stayed a bit smaller and more frail than her "cousins ". And she's the only goat who acts SICK when they are where as the others try to hide it more. Lost her mom less than a week old bottle fed sweetheart who had a rough start so she has a special place in my heart and I worry quick with her

Well there I go making a big fuss over small things. She seems so much better tonight. Running to the hay like she's so hungry. Guess the charcoal was enough.
She makes me crazy sometimes because she had a rough start and always stayed a bit smaller and more frail than her "cousins ". And she's the only goat who acts SICK when they are where as the others try to hide it more. Lost her mom less than a week old bottle fed sweetheart who had a rough start so she has a special place in my heart and I worry quick with her
Phew! I'm happy she is okay!

Back
Top Bottom