Goat with extremely itchy head. Small scabs and flaky

Birdsong 82

Free Ranging
6 Years
Aug 17, 2017
Virginia
Seems to be one thing after another lately. But that’s how life works sometimes right. Hanging with the goats today extra since we Finally have a bit of a break from the cold it was much more enjoyable. I noticed Romeo my male goat (wether) was rubbing his head on me viciously and I was petting his head and noticed very small scabs around his neck and back of head and a lot of flakiness. Haven’t noticed it being like this till today. Any ideas on what it might be? My phone is slow at loading pictures but I’m sending some. It doesn’t really show much but flaking but time of year it is his hair is thicker

Mites can cause mange/flakey patches. I've not run across this problem yet, but I read up on it last week because I thought 2 of my does had ear mites. They can be treated with Ivermectin subcutaneously or with NuStock or lime sulfur compound. Gotta do the whole herd, too, because they're crazy spreaders. And I think you need to repeat the treatments, although it varies depending on what treatment you use.

Last edited:
It may be a fungus infection. If it is BluKote will clear it up in a few days. Might be a good idea to get a can of louse powder too and give him a good dusting. If you do dust the whole herd while you are at it.

Copper deficiency they sell pills on Amazon that you give them once a year they worked wonders for my goat
I give my goats their copper bolus 4x a year. My black goat gets hers 5x a year because black goats require more copper.

It helps to know copper levels in your food and your soil, too. Also, looking for copper antagonists in their food and water is good. If the soil is deficient or their forage is high in things like molybdenum that can counter copper absorption, they might need copper more frequently.

Copper I figured out pretty easily. It took me a bit to get a handle on the selenium, though. I got it now!

Just a comment. If I were you, I would try BluKote and louse powder first. If a fungus or lice are the problem you will know in a few days. If there is no improvement in a week or so, then, and only then, try something else. In any event the BluKote and the louse powder can do no harm. The same cannot be said for copper. Giving copper to a goat that does not need it can have serious consequences.

Back
Top Bottom