Goat with soremouth

Sore mouth is or is not all the common depending where the animal comes from. I have raised lambs for 10 years and every year we bring him a lamb that has sore mouth because it has gotten into the breeders barn and he refuses to vaccinate. It IS contagious to humans, my mom got it on her thumb one year and the doctors used her as a lab rat because they had never seen it before. As long as you wash ur hands after handling and make sure you dont go in there with open cuts or wounds anywhere, you should be fine.

It is not the end of the world that you brought home an animal with soremouth. Its not a deadly disease that will kill your whole flock so dont feel bad about it.

He will eventually get over it and be just fine =]

I know that once you have soremouth they cant get it again...I got a goat this year and she wasnt showing any signs of it and then some of mine starting showing it...they were fine just looked horribel and now they are all fine...some cases can get bad but they seem to overcome it faster if you give them a shot of Bo-se.

Thanks, it is good to hear that it is not the end of the world. I feel pretty dumb for listening to the seller instead of my gut. At least the damage is minimized somewhat because he has been in quarantine since he got here. In fact, at the moment he is in my garage in one of those 'goat tote' cages that you use to haul them in the back of a pick-up. I plan to keep him penned until the scabs fall off (he is already finished with the blister phase and is mostly healed), then bleach the heck out of everything he touched.

I also plan to bathe and brush him to make sure there are no scabs hiding in his coat. I was thinking I might add a little bleach to the soap to help disinfect him. Do you think that would be safe? I also have Oxine if that would be safer to put on his coat.

On a more positive note, when I mentioned that I had not found a livestock guardian for my goats (we have coyotes and feral hogs here), the seller gave me one of hers for free! He is a young (3 to 5 months old) Anatolian/Pyr cross who has been living with goats his whole life. His dad was with her goats and he was HUGE (like 150 pounds). It was freaky to see such a huge dog hanging out with tiny baby goats.

Oh, and in case anyone is wondering, he has not been let out yet either. I penned him up in the garage when I got home and he will get a bath before he goes out with the goats. I figured he could spread the disease, too, since he could have the soil from their farm on his fur.

Back
Top Bottom